Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6404 Discussions

BSL_RESET fails - shows error BSL_ERROR_HID_API_OPEN_FAILED

sridhar25
Novice

I am trying to run Deep learning model inference on the Myriad and HDDL. When I try to run on Myriad it throws the following error. 

Can not init Myriad device: NC_ERROR

So, eventually I tried to reset the chip using the BSL_RESET exe. 

When I run the ./bsl_reset, it throws the following error

hid scan
[E:] [BSL] usb-mcu init returned status
BSL_ERROR_NO_DEVICE_FOUND
bsl_reset fail for:     BSL_ERROR_HID_API_OPEN_FAILED

But, when I ran the samples in the /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/demo folder, they are working fine. 

They are working fine on both MYRIAD and HDDL. 

Don't know what is causing the issue? if anyone knows more about this issue and how to fix it, please share knowledge about it. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IntelSupport

Hi Sridhar,

Thank you for reaching out to us. If possible, could you share some information about VPU device you are using? Is it Neural Compute Stick 2 or HDDL card like AI CORE XM 2280 or similar?

It is possible that you might miss some installations steps. Please refer the following guides:

NCS2 steps - https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/2020.4/openvino_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_linux.html#additional-NCS-steps

HDDL steps - https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/2020.4/openvino_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_linux_ivad_vpu.html

If that does not work, could you share additional information about your setup?

• Which version of the OpenVINO toolkit are you installing?
  • What OS are you using?

Regards,

Adli

0 Kudos
sridhar25
Novice

Hi Adli, 

Thank you for your kind response. 

Sure, I will share all the necessary information here. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. If possible, could you share some information about VPU device you are using? Is it Neural Compute Stick 2 or HDDL card like AI CORE XM 2280 or similar?

The VPU Device is Mustang-MPCIE-MX2 consisting of 2 x Intel Myriad X chips. 

It is possible that you might miss some installations steps. Please refer the following guides:

NCS2 steps - https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/2020.4/openvino_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_linux.html#...

HDDL steps - https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/2020.4/openvino_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_linux_ivad_...

Well, I think I have followed all the installation steps mentioned in the above links, but still the issue persists. 

If that does not work, could you share additional information about your setup?

Which version of the OpenVINO toolkit are you installing?

Version of OpenVINO is OpenVINO 2020.1 version

What OS are you using?

Ubuntu 18.04

Thank you!

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hi Sridhar,

Thank you for your cooperation. We are currently investigating this issue, and will get back to you soon.

Regards,

Adli.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hi Sridhar,

Thank you for waiting. If possible, could you share the output of command 'lsusb' once you configure the device? Once the device is available on the list, please check that 'hddldaemon' isn't running in the background. Otherwise, Myriad plugin won't work. Please run the following command to proceed:

pidof hddldaemon autoboot

If it is running, kill the hddldaemon and reset all Intel® Movidius™ VPUs by running the following command:

kill -9 $(pidof hddldaemon autoboot)

Then run the following command to make sure none of hddldaemon is alive:

pidof hddldaemon autoboot

Activate OpenVINO Environment:

source /opt/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh

Run the following command:

${HDDL_INSTALL_DIR}/bin/bsl_reset

Proceed to run a sample/demo with the desired plugin (Myriad/HDDL).

Having said that, please run the following program to ensure required kernel modules (myd_ion and myd_vsc) are installed on the system:

lsmod | grep myd_ion
lsmod | grep myd_vsc

If you do not see any output from the commands, reinstall the missing module.

Regards,

Adli

0 Kudos
sridhar25
Novice

Hi, very sorry for my late reply.

I did tried the above mentioned steps, but still facing the issue of bsl_reset

I tried the running the below command and getting the following output. 

${HDDL_INSTALL_DIR}/bin/bsl_reset

Output code:

bsl_reset fail for:     BSL_ERROR_HID_API_OPEN_FAILED

If I run the below commands, yes the above two variables does exists

lsmod | grep myd_ion

lsmod | grep myd_vsc

Yes, I can see the output of the modules, and their size and the process id that is currently using it. 

Very very sorry for my late reply with respect to the above thread. I didn't get notification about this to my email, so completely ignored this. 

If Intel team can support this one, it will be very helpful from our side. 

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hi Sridhar,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question. 

Regards,

Adli

0 Kudos