Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6442 Discussions

CPU Processing speed variations on two intel processors

terry01000
Beginner

I have an application that run good on intel processor  m3-8100Y, but slower on Celeron N5105 @ 2.00GHz while N5105 is expected to be 25% faster. My quick question are:

1. Is there architecture difference between the two processors that require the openvino to compile individually ?

2. Other typical cause of CPU processor not performing on it's max power?

Environment:

Openvino 2022.1

Windows 10

Object Detection: ssdLite-mobile

IR on CPU

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hairul_Intel

Hi terry01000,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Both of the processors you've mentioned are not officially supported nor have they been validated by OpenVINO™.

However, I've checked publicly available benchmark (This is an external link and is not maintained by Intel) and discovered that for single core, Intel® Core™ m3-8100Y processor performs better than Intel® Celeron® Processor N5105 in Cinebench R20 test.

Regarding architecture differences, Intel's architecture spans an array of features, performance, and power levels. The Intel® Celeron® N5105 is primarily intended for inexpensive desktops while the Intel® Core™ m3-8100Y is for tablets and passively cooled notebooks.

For your second question, the typical causes for CPU not performing at full speed or capacity might be due to issues with the CPU driver, power management or even system related issues.

From OpenVINO™ perspective, I've validated the ssdlite_mobilenet_v2 model by running Object Detection Python Demo with the model on Intel® Core™ i7-8665U CPU. Here is the performance result of the demo:

Screenshot (293).png

Regards,

Hairul

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Hairul_Intel

Hi terry01000,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Both of the processors you've mentioned are not officially supported nor have they been validated by OpenVINO™.

However, I've checked publicly available benchmark (This is an external link and is not maintained by Intel) and discovered that for single core, Intel® Core™ m3-8100Y processor performs better than Intel® Celeron® Processor N5105 in Cinebench R20 test.

Regarding architecture differences, Intel's architecture spans an array of features, performance, and power levels. The Intel® Celeron® N5105 is primarily intended for inexpensive desktops while the Intel® Core™ m3-8100Y is for tablets and passively cooled notebooks.

For your second question, the typical causes for CPU not performing at full speed or capacity might be due to issues with the CPU driver, power management or even system related issues.

From OpenVINO™ perspective, I've validated the ssdlite_mobilenet_v2 model by running Object Detection Python Demo with the model on Intel® Core™ i7-8665U CPU. Here is the performance result of the demo:

Screenshot (293).png

Regards,

Hairul

0 Kudos
terry01000
Beginner

Hi Hairul,

Thank you very much for the quick respond and taking time to investigate the questions. It's very helpful.

I got the similar processing speed as your test for m3-8100Y. But not Intel® Celeron® N5105 as expected based on your responds.

Is the officially supported processor listed somewhere in a  documents?

Terry

0 Kudos
Hairul_Intel

Hi Terry,

Glad to be of help.

You can find more information regarding officially supported hardware for OpenVINO™ from the Supported Devices page.

Additionally, here is the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit Benchmark Results for supported and validated hardware (CPU, GPU or VPU).

Regards,

Hairul

0 Kudos
Hairul_Intel

Hi Terry,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided information. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Hairul

0 Kudos