Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

CPU consumption with Raspberry Pi 2

Siméon
New Contributor I

Hello,

because my post was closed, I create a new one (you should increase the closing time, one week is short ! Moreover I got some problems to connect to my account).
Previous post : https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Distribution-of-OpenVINO/CPU-consumption-with-Raspberry-Pi/m-p/1234700

To reply to the last question of @Rizal_Intel , I have still 80 % for the demo script.  When I tested it, it was with and without Chromium open. But on htop, the percentage is specifically written next to the human_pose script. I don't know what could be the problem of that overconsumption.

Siméon.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rizal_Intel

Hi Siméon,

We don't have a benchmark for CPU usage on the Pi.

So the 80% CPU usage you observed should still be within expected range and not be considered an anomaly.

Regards,

Rizal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Rizal_Intel

Hi  Siméon,

After further tests using htop (filtered using pose estimation), it seems that usage is within range of my observed CPU usage.

I think the main difference is the resolution of the video feed.

When using video of 1980x1080 my CPU usage reached 220+% (Pi4 has 4 cores).

For 1280 x 720 video I got around 80+% (I think this is your resolution).

I did not get the exact resolution of my USB camera but I think it is lower as the total hovers around ~60%.

I hope this answers your concerns.

Regards,

Rizal

0 Kudos
Siméon
New Contributor I

Hello,  

I will see if I have a lower resolution camera, or, artificially decrease the quality of the video stream and see if it improves the CPU usage.

Thanks for the tips, I'll come later with the result

0 Kudos
Siméon
New Contributor I

I checked the resolution of my camera, and it is already low: 640x380. So, maybe it's not the problem?

0 Kudos
Rizal_Intel

Hi Siméon,

Another option to test it would be to try on a fresh SD card with Pi OS.

How much memory does your Pi has?

I currently do not have a Pi camera with me to test.

There could be nothing wrong with the CPU usage as it could be used to process the camera input.

USB camera usually send streams of already encoded data.

Regards,

Rizal

0 Kudos
Siméon
New Contributor I

Hello,  

I tried on a freshly Pi, with a 720p USB camera. Here the CPU usage is between 85% and 110%. When I reduce the quality of the image in the code :

cv::VideoCapture cap;
cap.set(cv::CAP_PROP_FRAME_WIDTH, 640);
cap.set(cv::CAP_PROP_FRAME_HEIGHT, 360);

it doesn't change

The Pi I use with the Pi camera has the maximum memory, 8 GB.

0 Kudos
Rizal_Intel

Hi Siméon,

We don't have a benchmark for CPU usage on the Pi.

So the 80% CPU usage you observed should still be within expected range and not be considered an anomaly.

Regards,

Rizal

0 Kudos
Rizal_Intel

Hi Siméon,

Intel will no longer monitor this thread since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Rizal

0 Kudos
Siméon
New Contributor I

Sorry for late reply, I forgot to check because of Christmas holidays.
Thanks for your answers!

Siméon

0 Kudos