Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

Can I run OpenVINO on Intel® Core™ i3-5005U CPU??

Mounagurusamy__Guruv

Folks,

I am Guru, Software Developer from India. I have the following systems, Ubuntu 16.04, Intel® Core™ i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz × 4 processor and Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2) graphics. I know its a fifth generation processor, still can i install OpenVINO, as I work on core Computer Vision using OpenCV and Caffe or OpenCV, TensorFlow, SSD Mobilenet. as per the notes, I know its good on sixth generation processors.

Can you please let me know, would it be effective to install OpenVINO to increase the performance of my systems.

Thanks

Guru

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Seunghyuk_P_Intel

Hi Guru,

CPU:

• 6th to 8th Generation Intel Core and Intel Xeon processors
  • Intel® Pentium® processor N4200/5, N3350/5, N3450/5 with Intel® HD Graphics

Graphics:

• 6th to 8th generation Intel Core processor with Iris® Pro graphics and Intel HD Graphics
  • 6th to 8th generation Intel Xeon processor with Iris Pro graphics and Intel HD Graphics (excluding the e5 product family, which does not have graphics)

These are our target platform from " https://software.intel.com/en-us/openvino-toolkit "

Regards,

Peter.

0 Kudos
Mounagurusamy__Guruv
Hi Peter, Thanks for the response. So I guess i can not use openVINO, Can you please let me know, If I can Intel's python and math modules to accelerate my deep learning performance. Thanks Guru
0 Kudos
Seunghyuk_P_Intel

Hi Guru,

Looks like, you are talking about 2 different things.

* OpenVINO provides multiple inference engine plugins for each compute device.

. CPU: mklDNN (Intel math kernel library)

. GPU: clDNN (Intel OpenCL)

. MYRIAD: Movidius VPU plugin

. FPGA: FPGA plugin

You can get performance advantage through each Intel plugins.

* Python is one of "framework"s, which it does not related to deep learning performance itself.

OpenVINO provides a python wrapper but still need to be improved.

Please check inference engine samples also.

Regards,

Peter.

0 Kudos
Mounagurusamy__Guruv

Thanks again for the detailed response Peter.

One last question, its reg.Intel FPGA, while googling i figured out that OpenCV can be used in FPGAs, Can you please let me know, If I would have the liberty to code and deploy Deep Learning models like OpenCV DNN using Cafee, Tensorflow(using python) in FPGAs, just like an Intel powered PC.

Regards

Guru

0 Kudos
Seunghyuk_P_Intel
0 Kudos
Yury_G_Intel
Employee

Have you actually tried running OpenVINO? 6-8 generation is officially tested configuration, but in reality there should be nothing limiting you from running on Broadwell CPU. Given that there are SSE optimizations, you may benefit in terms of performance.

Yury

0 Kudos