Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6404 Discussions

Can we use NCS to run handcrafted computer vision applications?

idata
Employee

@Tome_at_Intel : NCS seems to be a great choice for accelerating inference for neural networks (machine learning). Along similar lines, I wonder if I can use NCS + SDK + API to run handcrafted vision applications (computer vision), e.g., SIFT, SLAM. Can you provide me some pointers to get started with the computer vision flow?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

@kodukulav Although the NCS device does have the Myriad 2 VPU, the NCS is a device that is meant to offload inference processing at the edge. Movidius does have a Myriad Development Kit which can do more computer vision related processing, however it cannot be used with the NCS and you may have to contact Movidius for more information.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Tome_at_Intel : Okay. In fact, I contacted movidius a while ago and looks like they suggested me to use NCS for computer vision related processing as well. That's one of the main reason why I purchased the NCS and started exploring it.

"Hello Venkatesh,

Thanks for getting in touch about accessing Movidius technology for your research. Currently our MDK boards are only available to our OEM customers. That being said, there are two “off the shelf” solutions that are publicly available today:

Neural Compute Stick: Available via developer.movidius.com

UPBoard’s AI CORE: Available soon at: http://www.up-board.org/ai-edge/ai-core/

I hope one of these options is useful for you to begin your research.

Sincerely,

Jack Dashwood

Movidius"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@kodukulav There may have been a misunderstanding, but I can assure you that my previous comment about the Intel Movidius NCS is accurate. The Intel NCS device is designed to be a low power device that can help offload inference processing at the edge using the NCSDK and currently the NCS is not capable of assisting/accelerating computer vision/image related processing. Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Tome_at_Intel : Thanks for the clarification.

0 Kudos