Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6404 Discussions

[ ERROR ] Can not init Myriad device: NC_ERROR

cgciobo
Employee

Hello,

I have tried to run into an Ubuntu20 docker container, the demo_security_barrier_camera.sh -d MYRIAD demo example from openvino_2021 and i get this error:

E: [ncAPI] [ 334030] [security_barrie] ncDeviceOpen:1013 Failed to find booted device after boot
[ ERROR ] Can not init Myriad device: NC_ERROR

When I run it with sudo -E it works, but as a normal user it doesn't.
Does anyone had this issue before? Any idea how to make it run as normal user?
I use --volume /dev:/dev, --network=host and --privileged as options in the docker run command.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Syamimi_Intel

Hi Cristian-George Ciobotaru,

Thank you for waiting. This behavior is due to the docker security policy and we cannot sudo by default. I would suggest you run the docker in root privileges, then install sudo.

1. docker run -it -u 0 --rm openvino/ubuntu20_dev:latest
  2. apt update && apt install sudo
  3. demo_security_barrier_camera.sh

Or else you could try these ways:

docker run -itu root:root --rm --privileged -v /dev:/dev --network=host <image_name>

/bin/bash -c "apt update && apt install sudo && deployment_tools/demo/demo_security_barrier_camera.sh -d MYRIAD -sample-options -no_show"

Regards,

Syamimi

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Syamimi_Intel

Thank you for reaching out. We like to know more information about your environment.

Are you using Ubuntu 20 in the Virtual Machine ?

If yes, this issues can be resolve by enable a USB 3.0 controller and create USB whitelist filters for the virtual machine. The USB 3.0 feature requires the VirtualBox Extension Pack.

• Shut down the virtual machine
  • With the virtual machine selected on the VirtualBox Manager:
    • Open Settings -> USB
      • Check “Enable USB Controller”
      • Check “USB 3.0 (xHCI) Controller”
      • Add a new USB filter with Vendor ID: 03e7
        • The other filter fields can be blank.

If no, try run the demo_security_barrier_camera.sh with the root privileges:

docker run -itu root:root --rm --privileged -v /dev:/dev --network=host <image_name>

/bin/bash -c "apt update && apt install sudo && deployment_tools/demo/demo_security_barrier_camera.sh -d MYRIAD -sample-options -no_show"

Regards,

Syamimi

0 Kudos
cgciobo
Employee

Hi Syamimi,

I am running it into a docker container.
Running with sudo works, but i would like to run it without the need of sudo, as a normal user.

Thank you for your quick answer!

Regards,
Cristian

0 Kudos
Syamimi_Intel

Thank you for waiting. This behavior is due to the docker security policy and we cannot sudo by default. I would suggest you run the docker in root privileges, then install sudo.

1. docker run -it -u 0 --rm openvino/ubuntu20_dev:latest
  2. apt update && apt install sudo
  3. demo_security_barrier_camera.sh

Or else you could try these ways:

Regards,

Syamimi

Syamimi_Intel

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question. 

Regards,

Syamimi

0 Kudos