Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Error: Error - Could not open NCS device. (ncDeviceOpen failed - ncStatus value: -2)

idata
Employee
Hi - I try to install ncsdk v2 on a Raspberry pi 3 to use with my NCS2. Starting from scratch just after raspbian install. Using ssh. My install script is: sudo apt-get purge wolfram-engine sudo apt-get purge libreoffice* sudo apt-get clean sudo apt-get autoremove sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade sudo nano /etc/dphys-swapfile change CONF_SWAPSIZE=1024 sudo /etc/init.d/dphys-swapfile restart mkdir workspace cd workspace/ git clone -b ncsdk2 http://github.com/Movidius/ncsdk && cd ncsdk nano ncsdk.conf change USE_VIRTUALENV=yes make install I had a lot of errors like this one: [ 64%] Building CXX object src/caffe/CMakeFiles/caffe.dir/util/db_leveldb.cpp.o In file included from /usr/include/c++/6/algorithm:62:0, from /opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/src/caffe/util/bbox_util.cpp:1: /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algo.h: In function ‘void std::__insertion_sort(_RandomAccessIterator, _RandomAccessIterator, _Compare) [with _RandomAccessIterator = __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<double, int>*, std::vector<std::pair<double, int> > >; _Compare = __gnu_cxx::__ops::_Iter_comp_iter<bool (*)(const std::pair<float, int>&, const std::pair<float, int>&)>]’: /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algo.h:1837:5: note: parameter passing for argument of type ‘__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<double, int>*, std::vector<std::pair<double, int> > >’ will change in GCC 7.1 __insertion_sort(_RandomAccessIterator __first, ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algo.h:1837:5: note: parameter passing for argument of type ‘__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<double, int>*, std::vector<std::pair<double, int> > >’ will change in GCC 7.1 Nevertheless, the install was completed successfully. I activated the virtualenv with: source /opt/movidius/virtualenv-python/bin/activate When listing mu usb-devices, I found the NCS2. (virtualenv-python) pi@raspberrypi:~/workspace/ncsdk $ lsusb Bus 001 Device 008: ID 03e7:2485 Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2109:2813 VIA Labs, Inc. Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0424:7800 Standard Microsystems Corp. Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub When looking at DMESG, I see that the stick is loaded. [ 4580.653412] usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, device number 4 [ 4589.136868] usb 1-1.1.2: new high-speed USB device number 9 using dwc_otg [ 4589.267525] usb 1-1.1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=03e7, idProduct=2485 [ 4589.267539] usb 1-1.1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3 [ 4589.267547] usb 1-1.1.2: Product: Movidius MyriadX [ 4589.267555] usb 1-1.1.2: Manufacturer: Movidius Ltd. [ 4589.267562] usb 1-1.1.2: SerialNumber: 03e72485 BUT, when I execute $ python hello_ncs.py in workspace/ncsdk/examples/apps/hello_ncs_py/ I have: (virtualenv-python) pi@raspberrypi:~/workspace/ncsdk/examples/apps/hello_ncs_py $ python hello_ncs.py D: [ 0] ncDeviceCreate:308 ncDeviceCreate index 0 D: [ 0] ncDeviceCreate:308 ncDeviceCreate index 1 D: [ 0] ncDeviceOpen:524 File path /usr/local/lib/mvnc/MvNCAPI-ma2480.mvcmd W: [ 0] ncDeviceOpen:528 ncDeviceOpen() XLinkBootRemote returned error 3 Error - Could not open NCS device. I went through the install multiple times with the same error. additionally, When I make the cpp code and launch hello_ncs_cpp, I get: (virtualenv-python) pi@raspberrypi:~/workspace/ncsdk/examples/apps/hello_ncs_cpp $ ./cpp/hello_ncs_cpp W: [ 0] ncDeviceOpen:528 ncDeviceOpen() XLinkBootRemote returned error 3 Error- ncDeviceOpen failed ncStatus value: -2 Any help is much appreciated! Thanks N
0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

To shed some more light, the device was working with OpenVino. I was successful compiling my Tensorflow model, optimizing it (FP_16) and running net.forward() on raspberry + NCS2. Unfortunately, it was really slow (ie 2s per inference on a very simple model). So I decided to move to ncsdk v2. Of course, as I mentioned it, I restarted with a clean Raspberry and OS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @nicmaq

The only software kit that is compatible with the NCS2 is OpenVINO. The NCSDK is only compatible with the NCS1.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Sahira
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you @Sahira_at_Intel! If I may give you some feedback, this is really not clearly explained in the documentation. it says: This Intel® Movidius™ Neural Compute software developer kit (NCSDK) is provided for users of the Intel® Movidius™ Neural Compute Stick (Intel® Movidius™ NCS). I saw many posts stating that the ncsdk v1 was not compatible with the NCS V1 but when Intel releases a NCSDK V2, you're expecting it to be compatible with the NCS V2…. Your marketing is very confusing.

I spent 4 days on this because OpenVino was really really slow. Let's retry OpenVino…
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @nicmaq

I replied to you on your other thread as well. Thank you for your feedback!

Please let me know if you have OpenVINO questions, we're happy to help!

Best Regards,

Sahira
0 Kudos