Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Error - MacOs - Can not init Myriad device: NC_ERROR

blechatellier
Beginner

Hi, running openvino_2019.3.334 on MacOS with the Neural Compute Stick 2 and running into an error running the squeeznet demo.

[ INFO ] InferenceEngine:

API version ............ 2.1

Build .................. 30677

Description ....... API

[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters

[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters

[ INFO ] Files were added: 1

[ INFO ] Creating Inference Engine

MYRIAD

myriadPlugin version ......... 2.1

Build ........... 30677

[ INFO ] Loading network files

[ INFO ] Preparing input blobs

[ WARNING ] Image is resized from (787, 259) to (227, 227)

[ INFO ] Batch size is 1

[ INFO ] Loading model to the device

[ ERROR ] Can not init Myriad device: NC_ERROR

Error on or near line 239; exiting with status 1

0 Kudos
30 Replies
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello blechatellier,

Thank you for contact Intel technical support, we can see that you can not run a demo on a MacOS, could you please answer some questions we have for you:

Which version of MacOS are you using? 

Are you running inference on a physical machine or are you using a virtual machine?

Did you install the libusb library to perform inference on Intel(R) Neural Compute Stick 2? If you did not install, please install it by running brew install libusb as mentioned here.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask us, and we will help you further. 

Thank you. 

Regards,

Mauricio R. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

A Contingent Worker at Intel 

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

I'm using macOS Mojave 10.14.4 (18E226) without a virtual machine and correctly installed libusb.

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello blechatellier, 

Thank you for your response. In order to continue helping you with your issue, we want to know some additional information: 

How are you connecting the NCS2 device, 2.0, 3.0 or USB hub, (is it powered)? 

Could you please run the command: system_profiler SPUSBDataType  on your terminal to check if it is detecting your device? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

I've tried with a non-powered USB 3.0 hub and directly on the USB 3.0 of a MacBook too.

USB2.0 Hub :   Product ID: 0x2813 Vendor ID: 0x2109 (VIA Labs, Inc.) Version: 2.21 Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec Manufacturer: VIA Labs, Inc. Location ID: 0x14400000 / 9 Current Available (mA): 500 Current Required (mA): 0 Extra Operating Current (mA): 0   Movidius MyriadX:   Product ID: 0x2485 Vendor ID: 0x03e7 Version: 0.01 Serial Number: 03e72485 Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec Manufacturer: Movidius Ltd. Location ID: 0x14410000 / 10 Current Available (mA): 500 Current Required (mA): 500 Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Thank you for the information,

As another step, can you try to run the demo using a different USB port please? At this moment we are trying to test the demo in our lab, and we will contact you back soon with more information.

Thank you.

Mauricio R. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

A Contingent Worker at Intel. 

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner
I've tried on different USB ports on different computers, same issue.
0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

I've also tested on Ubuntu 18.04 (not in a VM or Docker) and I get the same error on the squeeznet sample. Some time I see the follow extra error:

E: [ncAPI] [925785] [classification_] ncDeviceOpen: 859 Device doesn't appear after boot

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

I've also tried with NCS1 and get the same error.

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

I got both NCS1 and NCS2 to work on ubuntu after a reboot, still nothing on MacOS.

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Thank you for the issue update,  

We are currently working on installing Mojave 10.14.4, to run the squeezenet demo from our end to help you with a solution. While we are working on this, could you please let us know the models of the Macs where you tried to test it before?  

Thank you.  

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Thank you for the response,

We were able to run the demo successfully in three different systems running MacOS

10.14. Could you please provide the software versions of Python, Cmake, and

xcode you are using please. I was having issues running the demo with Python

version 3.7.4 but upgrading to version 3.7.5 helped.

Best regards,

Mauricio R.

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

Python 3.7.4

Cmake 3.15.3

Xcode is not installed (just the required packages). Isn't the squeeznet demo using c++ and not python?

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

I've tried with Python 3.7.5, same error.

Running into new errors with the model optimizer,

[ ERROR ] -------------------------------------------------

[ ERROR ] ----------------- INTERNAL ERROR ----------------

[ ERROR ] Unexpected exception happened.

[ ERROR ] Please contact Model Optimizer developers and forward the following information:

[ ERROR ] 'Graph' object has no attribute 'node'

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Thank you for your response.

When you are installing OpenVINO, Apple Xcode* Command Line Tools is one of the software requirements. Could you please install Apple Xcode* Command Line Tools, and then try to run the demo again?

You can see the official instructions here.

On the other hand, I see that your new error is with the model optimizer, could you please start a new discussion to keep this discussion specific to the demo issue? Please include additional information about the new issue. What command are you using? What framework and topology is your model based on?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

Apple Xcode* Command Line Tools was already installed but I tried the latest and still running in the same issue.

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

The first time I run "system_profiler SPUSBDataType", the device shows up. After the running the demo I get:

E: [ncAPI] [  629734] [] ncDeviceOpen:859 Device doesn't appear after boot

[ ERROR ] Can not init Myriad device: NC_ERROR

If I run "system_profiler SPUSBDataType" again, the device is not showing, I have to unplug and re-plug.

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello blechatellier,

As these steps did not work, I recommend you to uninstall OpenVINO and re-install it as root. Another recommendation from us is to update macOS to 10.14.6 version, and try to run the demo again with these new features, please.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

Ok, will try, what do you make of my latest comment about the device disappearing when running the demo?

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner
Upgraded MacOS to 10.14.6, installed openvino as root and still running in the same issue. Can you comment on why the device disappears after it tries to boot?
0 Kudos