Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

How to enable Integrated GPU on [NUC11PAHi5 Ubuntu 18.04]

Piyush_Khandelwal

Hi Community,

Can you please help me in getting the iGPU enabled on NUC11PAHi5.

I have installed Ubuntu 18.04 and trying to use OpenVINO Inference Engine but not able to list the iGPU as one of the available devices to do the inference on.

Are there any installations or settings which are needed to be changed in order to enable it.

1. In Ubuntu settings the Graphics is coming up as : llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 256 bits)

2. Output of the below command is as follows

$ sudo lshw -c video

*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Intel Corporation
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:400-3ff memory:603c000000-603cffffff memory:4000000000-400fffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff memory:4010000000-4016ffffff memory:4020000000-40ffffffff

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Piyush_Khandelwal, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, we just to let you know, Ubuntu 18.04 has not been validated officially by Intel® as a supported Operating System of the Intel® NUC 11 Performance kit - NUC11PAHi5 and the drivers we have available on our website were tested and intended for Windows* as OS:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/intel-nuc.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Since your inquiry is related to the OpenVINO™ toolkit, I just moved your thread to their support department so they can further assist you with this matter as soon as possible.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi Piyush_Khandelwal,

Please refer to driver installation instructions on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and download the GPU software packages.

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Piyush_Khandelwal

Hi Peh_Intel,

Thanks for the response!

I ran the commands present in the link shared by you and was to do the installations but if fails at the last step where it shows the render nodes. I'm unable to list any render nodes on NUC.

Please find the attached screenshot with the error at the end. (I has combined all the commands in a bash script)

Can you please take a look and see how to enable it.

thanks!

Piyush

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi Piyush_Khandelwal,

I found out that the render group is used for Ubuntu 20.04. while video group is used for Ubuntu 18.04.

Please have a try by changing to video group:

sudo gpasswd -a ${USER} video

newgrp video

Next, check all the available Inference Engine devices by running Hello Query Device Python Sample.

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Piyush_Khandelwal

Hi Peh,

It looks like the video nodes are also not listed on the NUC.

Error:

ls: cannot access '/dev/dri/video*': No such file or directory.

Can you please let me know if I am missing anything.

Here is the product link as well.

thanks,

Piyush

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi Piyush,

We’ve replicated your issue from our end, and we found that this issue is not related to OpenVINO.

The probable causes for this error are OS incompatibility with NUC11 (NUC11 supports only Windows OS, as mentioned by Alberto previously) or Ubuntu kernel versions (which includes the respective driver versions as well).

We will engage with the NUC team and will get back to you once we’ve obtained feedback from them.

Regards,

Munesh 

0 Kudos
Piyush_Khandelwal

Hi Munesh,

Thank you for the response.

Yes please let me know if anything else has to be done related to drivers as well to make the iGPU work on Ubuntu 18.04.

Thanks and Regards,

Piyush

0 Kudos
Piyush_Khandelwal

Just want to add that I also tried NUC11TNBi5 NUC machine and faced the same issues with the iGPU on 18.04.

Please let me know if both share the same cause for this issue.

thanks!

0 Kudos
Piyush_Khandelwal

Hi Munesh,

Please let me know if you have any ideas/suggestions on how to resolve this.

thanks & regards,

Piyush

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi Piyush,

We’ve obtained feedback from the NUC team. It seems to be an issue with the kernel where the distro version 18.xx does not have the graphics driver for Intel Tiger Lake platform.

As such, we suggest you use Ubuntu 20.04 instead. (Our 11th Gen NUC is running with Ubuntu 20.04 and we did not encounter any error).

The following article (Intel® NUCs with 11th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors) mentions that NUC11TNBi5 has been validated and supported by Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/intel-nuc.html

On another note, the following page details testing a DELL laptop with Tiger Lake chipset on Ubuntu 21.04 and Ubuntu 21.10. No graphics issues were reported.

(https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu-2110-tiger&num=1has)

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi Piyush,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos