Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

How to permanently set openvino toolkit environment in Windows10

R__A
Beginner

Hi

I am referring to this document https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/latest/_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_windows.html#set-the-environment-variables

which says we can add the openvino toolkit environment permanently but how to add it, is not shown. I tried adding the full path to setupvars.bat file in environment but it didnt worked.

Can anyone please tell me how can  I set the environment variables permanently. Thanks 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Luis_at_Intel

I am not sure if this is the best way to Set the Environment Variables permanently on Windows* 10 but this is how I did it.

Go to Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables. Under System Variables add the following variables as New variables with the corresponding Value:

Name                                Value

• INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR  C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\openvino <- Path to your OpenVINO install 
  • INTEL_CVSDK_DIR         %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%
  • OpenCV_DIR                    %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\opencv\cmake
  • OPENVX_FOLDER           %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\openvx
  • InferenceEngine_DIR        %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\deployment_tools\inference_engine\share
  • HDDL_INSTALL_DIR        %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\deployment_tools\inference_engine\external\hddl
  • PYTHONPATH                  %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\python\python3.6 <- check your python* version and adjust accordingly

Edit the Path variable and Add the following entries:

• %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\deployment_tools\inference_engine\bin\intel64\Release
  • %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\deployment_tools\inference_engine\bin\intel64\Debug
  • %HDDL_INSTALL_DIR%\bin
  • %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\opencv\bin
  • %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\openvx\bin

After this you may have to log out of your Windows account and sign back in for changes to take effect. This worked for me and I hope this addresses your question, let me know if you encounter any issues.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Luis_at_Intel

I am not sure if this is the best way to Set the Environment Variables permanently on Windows* 10 but this is how I did it.

Go to Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables. Under System Variables add the following variables as New variables with the corresponding Value:

Name                                Value

• INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR  C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\openvino <- Path to your OpenVINO install 
  • INTEL_CVSDK_DIR         %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%
  • OpenCV_DIR                    %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\opencv\cmake
  • OPENVX_FOLDER           %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\openvx
  • InferenceEngine_DIR        %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\deployment_tools\inference_engine\share
  • HDDL_INSTALL_DIR        %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\deployment_tools\inference_engine\external\hddl
  • PYTHONPATH                  %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\python\python3.6 <- check your python* version and adjust accordingly

Edit the Path variable and Add the following entries:

• %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\deployment_tools\inference_engine\bin\intel64\Release
  • %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\deployment_tools\inference_engine\bin\intel64\Debug
  • %HDDL_INSTALL_DIR%\bin
  • %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\opencv\bin
  • %INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR%\openvx\bin

After this you may have to log out of your Windows account and sign back in for changes to take effect. This worked for me and I hope this addresses your question, let me know if you encounter any issues.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel

0 Kudos
Aslam__Shahzaib
Beginner

Can we add the environment variables by calling the .bat file through python script? I am trying following:

os.system("C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\openvino\bin\setupvars.bat")

But after running the script the environment variables are still not updated.

Is there anyway to update the environment variables from the python script without explicitly setting up the variables in "Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables"?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Aslam, Shahzaib,

This is not an OpenVino question. This is a Windows 10 Settings Systems Administration Python scripting Question. But I found this How to set and use environment variables inside a Python Script article. Maybe it will help you.

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos
Virgen__Francisco

Thanks @Luis_at_Intel!

I will add those variables too!

Regards,

Francisco J. Virgen

0 Kudos