Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Incorrect results on using accuracy_checker with efficientdet model

siddhantsahu
Beginner

Goal: Evaluate efficientdet-d3 model on COCO validation dataset using accuracy_checker

Steps taken:

1. Download efficientdet-d3 and freeze graph using steps mentioned on this repository.
  2. Convert the frozen graph in Step 1 to OpenVino IR with precision FP32.
  3. Use the following config.yaml to run accuracy checker. I just took the efficientdet-d0-tf.yml file found under accuracy_checker/configs/ and modified it. I have used COCO's validation dataset that has 5000 images.

models: 
  - datasets: 
      - name: ms_coco_detection

data_source: val2017

metrics: 
          - type: coco_precision

annotation_conversion:
          images_dir: /home/siddhant.sahu/pot_data/dataset/val2017/
          converter: mscoco_detection
          annotation_file: /home/siddhant.sahu/pot_data/dataset/instances_val2017.json

preprocessing: 
          - type: resize
            aspect_ratio_scale: fit_to_window
            size: 896
          - type: padding
            pad_type: right_bottom

postprocessing:
          - type: faster_rcnn_postprocessing_resize
          - type: shift_labels
            offset: 1

launchers: 
      - adapter: ssd
        batch: 1
        device: CPU
        framework: dlsdk
        model: /home/siddhant.sahu/pot_data/models/efficientdet/fp32/frozen_inference_graph.xml
        weights: /home/siddhant.sahu/pot_data/models/efficientdet/fp32/frozen_inference_graph.bin

name: ms_coco_detection

When I execute the above step, I get a coco_precision value of 0.01% which is incorrect.

To ensure that the model conversion using model optimizer was executed correctly, I have checked the AP value using custom code I wrote and got 0.435, same as what's mentioned here

What am I missing here?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
IntelSupport

Hi Siddhantsahu,

Thanks for reaching out. We are investigating this and will get back to you with the information soon.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hi Siddahantsahu,

Thank you for your patient. We have confirmed that efficientdet-d3 is not yet be supported within OpenVINO toolkit. You may still be able to utilize our accuracy checker tool for the above-mentioned model but we cannot confirm nor provide any exact result as it is yet to be validated by our OpenVINO development team.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos
siddhantsahu
Beginner

Efficientdet works with OpenVino - I have tested it already. Anyway, I spent some more time trying to figure out the issue and was able to get non-zero results of map (mean average precision) and coco_precision metric using the accuracy_checker tool. I'm not sure if the results are correct.

I used DL workbench to get the command that was being run in the background whenever accuracy is evaluated. Using that, I modified the config to the following:

models: 
  - datasets: 
      - name: ms_coco_detection

data_source: val2017

metrics: 
          - type: map
            integral: max
            overlap_threshold: 0.5

annotation_conversion:
          images_dir: /home/pot_data/dataset/val2017/
          converter: mscoco_detection
          has_background: true
          use_full_label_map: false
          annotation_file: /home/pot_data/dataset/instances_val2017.json

preprocessing:
          - type: auto_resize

postprocessing:
          - type: resize_prediction_boxes

launchers: 
      - adapter: ssd
        batch: 1
        device: CPU
        framework: dlsdk
        model: /home/pot_data/models/efficientdet/fp32/frozen_inference_graph.xml
        weights: /home/pot_data/models/efficientdet/fp32/frozen_inference_graph.xml

name: ms_coco_detection

The documentation of accuracy_checker module can be improved with working configs of models. The efficientdet config that's present in the repository (path is accuracy_checker/configs/) seems to be incorrect because it returns 0 map and 0 coco_precision.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hi Siddhant Sahu,

That particular config file you are using belongs to the Efficientdet-d0, not Efficientdet-d3. As mentioned before, you can use the file but the result might not accurate as we cannot validate any correct value for accuracy checker with Efficientdet-d3. Even though you can get a value with editing/adding some of the metrics, we don’t have any exact mAP value to determine the correctness of the value that you get.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hi Siddhantsahu,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos