Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community support and discussions about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all things computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
5836 Discussions

Incorrect results on using accuracy_checker with efficientdet model

siddhantsahu
Beginner

Goal: Evaluate efficientdet-d3 model on COCO validation dataset using accuracy_checker

Steps taken:

1. Download efficientdet-d3 and freeze graph using steps mentioned on this repository.
  2. Convert the frozen graph in Step 1 to OpenVino IR with precision FP32.
  3. Use the following config.yaml to run accuracy checker. I just took the efficientdet-d0-tf.yml file found under accuracy_checker/configs/ and modified it. I have used COCO's validation dataset that has 5000 images.

models: 
  - datasets: 
      - name: ms_coco_detection

data_source: val2017

metrics: 
          - type: coco_precision

annotation_conversion:
          images_dir: /home/siddhant.sahu/pot_data/dataset/val2017/
          converter: mscoco_detection
          annotation_file: /home/siddhant.sahu/pot_data/dataset/instances_val2017.json

preprocessing: 
          - type: resize
            aspect_ratio_scale: fit_to_window
            size: 896
          - type: padding
            pad_type: right_bottom

postprocessing:
          - type: faster_rcnn_postprocessing_resize
          - type: shift_labels
            offset: 1

launchers: 
      - adapter: ssd
        batch: 1
        device: CPU
        framework: dlsdk
        model: /home/siddhant.sahu/pot_data/models/efficientdet/fp32/frozen_inference_graph.xml
        weights: /home/siddhant.sahu/pot_data/models/efficientdet/fp32/frozen_inference_graph.bin

name: ms_coco_detection

When I execute the above step, I get a coco_precision value of 0.01% which is incorrect.

To ensure that the model conversion using model optimizer was executed correctly, I have checked the AP value using custom code I wrote and got 0.435, same as what's mentioned here

What am I missing here?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Siddhantsahu,

Thanks for reaching out. We are investigating this and will get back to you with the information soon.

Regards,

Aznie

IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Siddahantsahu,

Thank you for your patient. We have confirmed that efficientdet-d3 is not yet be supported within OpenVINO toolkit. You may still be able to utilize our accuracy checker tool for the above-mentioned model but we cannot confirm nor provide any exact result as it is yet to be validated by our OpenVINO development team.

Regards,

Aznie

siddhantsahu
Beginner

Efficientdet works with OpenVino - I have tested it already. Anyway, I spent some more time trying to figure out the issue and was able to get non-zero results of map (mean average precision) and coco_precision metric using the accuracy_checker tool. I'm not sure if the results are correct.

I used DL workbench to get the command that was being run in the background whenever accuracy is evaluated. Using that, I modified the config to the following:

models: 
  - datasets: 
      - name: ms_coco_detection

data_source: val2017

metrics: 
          - type: map
            integral: max
            overlap_threshold: 0.5

annotation_conversion:
          images_dir: /home/pot_data/dataset/val2017/
          converter: mscoco_detection
          has_background: true
          use_full_label_map: false
          annotation_file: /home/pot_data/dataset/instances_val2017.json

preprocessing:
          - type: auto_resize

postprocessing:
          - type: resize_prediction_boxes

launchers: 
      - adapter: ssd
        batch: 1
        device: CPU
        framework: dlsdk
        model: /home/pot_data/models/efficientdet/fp32/frozen_inference_graph.xml
        weights: /home/pot_data/models/efficientdet/fp32/frozen_inference_graph.xml

name: ms_coco_detection

The documentation of accuracy_checker module can be improved with working configs of models. The efficientdet config that's present in the repository (path is accuracy_checker/configs/) seems to be incorrect because it returns 0 map and 0 coco_precision.

IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Siddhant Sahu,

That particular config file you are using belongs to the Efficientdet-d0, not Efficientdet-d3. As mentioned before, you can use the file but the result might not accurate as we cannot validate any correct value for accuracy checker with Efficientdet-d3. Even though you can get a value with editing/adding some of the metrics, we don’t have any exact mAP value to determine the correctness of the value that you get.

Regards,

Aznie

IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Siddhantsahu,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Aznie