cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Employee

Inference is stuck when using shared_ptr for ExecutableNetwork

Hi.

I'm trying to optimize my code and I found that loading the network takes a lot of time. So I want to do it once in the constructor.

So I have this code in the constructor:

OpenVinoInference::OpenVinoInference(const std::string &modelPath)
{
    // --------------------------- 1. Load Plugin for inference engine -------------------------------------
    mInferencePlugin = std::make_shared<InferencePlugin>(PluginDispatcher().getSuitablePlugin(TargetDevice::eCPU));

// --------------------------- 2. Read IR Generated by ModelOptimizer (.xml and .bin files) ------------
    CNNNetReader network_reader;
    network_reader.ReadNetwork(modelPath + ".xml");
    network_reader.ReadWeights(modelPath + ".bin");
    network_reader.getNetwork().setBatchSize(1);
    mCNNNetwork = std::make_shared<CNNNetwork>(network_reader.getNetwork());
    // -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// --------------------------- 3. Configure input & output ---------------------------------------------
    // --------------------------- Prepare input blobs -----------------------------------------------------
    InputInfo::Ptr input_info = mCNNNetwork->getInputsInfo().begin()->second;
    std::string input_name = mCNNNetwork->getInputsInfo().begin()->first;

input_info->setLayout(Layout::NCHW);
    input_info->setPrecision(Precision::FP32);

// --------------------------- Prepare output blobs ----------------------------------------------------
    DataPtr output_info = mCNNNetwork->getOutputsInfo().begin()->second;
    std::string output_name = mCNNNetwork->getOutputsInfo().begin()->first;

output_info->setPrecision(Precision::FP32);
    // -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// --------------------------- 4. Loading model to the plugin ------------------------------------------
    mExecutableNetwork = std::make_shared<ExecutableNetwork>(mInferencePlugin->LoadNetwork(*mCNNNetwork, {}));

// Set private members
    mInputName = input_name;
    mOutputName = output_name;
}

And I have this Infer function:

std::shared_ptr<InferenceEngine::Blob>
OpenVinoInference::Infer(const cv::Mat& image)
{
    auto t = TimeMeasurement();

// --------------------------- 5. Create infer request -------------------------------------------------
    mInferRequest = mExecutableNetwork->CreateInferRequestPtr();

// --------------------------- 6. Prepare input --------------------------------------------------------
    Blob::Ptr input = mInferRequest->GetBlob(mInputName);
    auto input_data = input->buffer().as<PrecisionTrait<Precision::FP32>::value_type *>();

int image_size = image.cols * image.rows;
    for (size_t pid = 0; pid < image_size; ++pid) {
        for (size_t ch = 0; ch < 1; ++ch) {
            input_data[ch * image_size + pid] = image.at<cv::Vec3b>(pid)[ch];
        }
    }

std::cout << "OpenVinoInference::Infer 6. "; t.Test();

// --------------------------- 7. Do inference --------------------------------------------------------
    /* Running the request synchronously */
    mInferRequest->Infer();

std::cout << "OpenVinoInference::Infer 7. "; t.Test();

// --------------------------- 8. Process output ------------------------------------------------------
    Blob::Ptr output = mInferRequest->GetBlob(mOutputName);

std::cout << "OpenVinoInference::Infer 8. "; t.Test();

return output;
}

The problem that I face is that when I create the ExecutableNetwork in the constructor, inference is stuck. The mInferRequest->Infer(); does not return.
This doesn't happen when I create the ExecutableNetwork in the Infer function. But then the inference process takes much too long.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

What happens if you add 

if (InferenceEngine::OK == mInferRequest->Wait(InferenceEngine::IInferRequest::WaitMode::RESULT_READY))
{
    // --------------------------- 8. Process output ------------------------------------------------------
}

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Thanks for the reply.

Tried as suggested:

if (InferenceEngine::OK == mInferRequest->Wait(InferenceEngine::IInferRequest::WaitMode::RESULT_READY))
    {

std::cout << "OpenVinoInference::Infer 8. "; t.Test();

return output;
    }

With no luck.....

Also tried to use async:

mInferRequest->StartAsync();

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Interesting issue!  Just wondering if it is related to some other issues we have seen in this forum around InferenceEngine allocation of resources. Could it be related to https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/computer-vision/topic/804912 ? 

In the meantime, are you able to repro on GPU path too or just CPU? That could hep narrow down to MKLDNN vs. CLDNN.

Cheers,

Nikos

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Please ignore this issue for now as there is a good chance that this issue was happening because of flows in my app. Probably multi threading issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Ohad M. (Intel) wrote:

Please ignore this issue for now as there is a good chance that this issue was happening because of flows in my app. Probably multi threading issues.

Ohad, how did you solve the multi-threading issue? I'm likely stuck in the same situation you were..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi! Wondering if you were able to solve this issue? I would also like to perform the loading of the network once.

0 Kudos