Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Model Optimizer ERROR for YOLOv3

Deng__Fucheng
Beginner

I tried to convert YOLOv3 model in OpenVINO R4 just following the official instructions.  It did not work. It shows the error:

List of operations that cannot be converted to IE IR

ERROR: Exp(3)

ERROR: detector/yolo-v3/Exp

ERROR: detector/yolo-v3/Exp_1

ERROR: detector/yolo-v3/Exp_2

part of the nodes was not translated to IE

did anyone convert YOLOv3 sucessfully?

0 Kudos
43 Replies
Monique_J_Intel
Employee

Hi Fucheng,

Can you please provide the Model Optimizer command you used to get the results?

By the way there is in-package documentation in R4 release on how to convert yolo V3 in file:///opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk_2018.4.420/deployment_tools/documentation/docs/_docs_MO_DG_prepare_model_convert_model_tf_specific_Convert_YOLO_From_Tensorflow.html or if on Windows change "opt/intel" to "c:/intel"

Kind Regards,

Monique Jones

0 Kudos
Deng__Fucheng
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. I first converted the YOLOv3 model downloaded from the official website to tensorflow model using code from  "https://github.com/mystic123/tensorflow-yolo-v3.git".  The converted tensorflow model was OK.  Then I modified the yolo_v3.json, run the command  "python3 mo_tf.py
--input_model /mypath/to/yolo_v3.pb
--tensorflow_use_custom_operations_config $MO_ROOT/extensions/front/tf/yolo_v3.json". There, the error occured.

My OS system is Ubuntu 16.04, computer NUC5i5RYH

0 Kudos
nikos1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Fucheng,

YOLO3 worked fine here in the latest 2018 R4 on Ubuntu 16.04.

The only difference is in my case I also specified --input_shape=[1,416,416,3]

Cheers,

Nikos

0 Kudos
Deng__Fucheng
Beginner

Oh, really, I also specified the input_shape=[1, 416, 416,3] when I converted it into tensorflow. I found it would fail if the input_shape=[none, 416,416,3] in the original code from "https://github.com/mystic123/tensorflow-yolo-v3.git".

is it the problem for my hardware? But I tried caffe model, it worked fine.

0 Kudos
nikos1
Valued Contributor I

I don't think there is a problem with your hardware. Have you managed to run the samples successfully? If not there may an OpenVino installation issue, you may want to try an SDK re-install.

Just to clarify, do you get the error when you run the model optimizer command ( python3 mo_tf.py ) or during inference ( when you run object_detection_demo_yolov3_async ) ? 

Could you copy the complete command and output that shows the error and attach here? 

0 Kudos
Deng__Fucheng
Beginner

I get the error when I run the model optimizer command(python3 mo_tf.py), not during inference. The installation is OK because I have tried samples as well as my own caffemodel.

Thanks, I will try it later and update any new information

0 Kudos
Deng__Fucheng
Beginner

Hi, Jones, and Nikos, I have tried again, both on computer computer NUC5i5RYH (i5, 5th) and another laptop (i5, 8th). The problem is the same. I put the command and the error as follows:

python3 mo_tf.py --input_model ~/tensorflow-yolo-v3/yolo_v3.pb --tensorflow_use_custom_operations_config ./extensions/front/tf/yolov3.json --input_shape [1,416,416,3]
Model Optimizer arguments:
Common parameters:
    - Path to the Input Model:     /home/extremevision/tensorflow-yolo-v3/yolo_v3.pb
    - Path for generated IR:     /opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk_2018.4.420/deployment_tools/model_optimizer/.
    - IR output name:     yolo_v3
    - Log level:     ERROR
    - Batch:     Not specified, inherited from the model
    - Input layers:     Not specified, inherited from the model
    - Output layers:     Not specified, inherited from the model
    - Input shapes:     [1,416,416,3]
    - Mean values:     Not specified
    - Scale values:     Not specified
    - Scale factor:     Not specified
    - Precision of IR:     FP32
    - Enable fusing:     True
    - Enable grouped convolutions fusing:     True
    - Move mean values to preprocess section:     False
    - Reverse input channels:     False
TensorFlow specific parameters:
    - Input model in text protobuf format:     False
    - Offload unsupported operations:     False
    - Path to model dump for TensorBoard:     None
    - List of shared libraries with TensorFlow custom layers implementation:     None
    - Update the configuration file with input/output node names:     None
    - Use configuration file used to generate the model with Object Detection API:     None
    - Operations to offload:     None
    - Patterns to offload:     None
    - Use the config file:     /opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk_2018.4.420/deployment_tools/model_optimizer/./extensions/front/tf/yolov3.json
Model Optimizer version:     1.4.292.6ef7232d
[ ERROR ]  List of operations that cannot be converted to IE IR:
[ ERROR ]      Exp (3)
[ ERROR ]          detector/yolo-v3/Exp
[ ERROR ]          detector/yolo-v3/Exp_1
[ ERROR ]          detector/yolo-v3/Exp_2
[ ERROR ]  Part of the nodes was not translated to IE. Stopped. 
 For more information please refer to Model Optimizer FAQ (<INSTALL_DIR>/deployment_tools/documentation/docs/MO_FAQ.html), question #24. 

I just  exactly followed the instructions.  My ubuntu is 16.04 and I did not run install_4_14_kernel.sh. The only thing I'm not sure is the yolov3.json, I tried:

[
  {
    "id": "TFYOLOV3",
    "match_kind": "general",
    "custom_attributes": {
      "classes": 80,
      "coords": 4,
      "num": 9,
      "mask": [0, 1, 2],
      "entry_points": ["detector/yolo-v3/detect_1", "detector/yolo-v3/detect_2", "detector/yolo-v3/detect_3"]
    }
  }
]

and also:

[
  {
      "entry_points": ["detector/yolo-v3/detect_1", "detector/yolo-v3/detect_2", "detector/yolo-v3/detect_3"]
    }
  },
    {
      "mask": [3, 4, 5],
    }
  },
    {
      "mask": [6, 7, 8],
    }
  }
]

The error were the same.

0 Kudos
Deng__Fucheng
Beginner

Nikos wrote:

I don't think there is a problem with your hardware. Have you managed to run the samples successfully? If not there may an OpenVino installation issue, you may want to try an SDK re-install.

Just to clarify, do you get the error when you run the model optimizer command ( python3 mo_tf.py ) or during inference ( when you run object_detection_demo_yolov3_async ) ? 

Could you copy the complete command and output that shows the error and attach here? 

Hi, Nikos

I just copy the command and output. The outputs were the same.

Cheers

Fucheng

0 Kudos
nikos1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Deng,

Sorry for the delay.  Still having this issue?

I can try to repro if you provide the command that you used to freeze YOLO3 ( yolo_v3.pb ).

Also did you try with your own YOLO3 or a pretrained model, if so which one?

Thanks,

Nikos

0 Kudos
Deng__Fucheng
Beginner

Nikos wrote:

Hi Deng,

Sorry for the delay.  Still having this issue?

I can try to repro if you provide the command that you used to freeze YOLO3 ( yolo_v3.pb ).

Also did you try with your own YOLO3 or a pretrained model, if so which one?

Thanks,

Nikos

Hi, Nikos,

I just exactly followed the official guide "https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/OpenVINO-Using-TensorFlow",  convert yolov3 to tensorflow model part. I used pretrained model download from DarkNet website "https://pjreddie.com/darknet/yolo/".

Thanks,

Fucheng

0 Kudos
nikos1
Valued Contributor I

Hello Fucheng,

Please note

> To solve the problems explained in the YOLO V3 architecture overview section, use the yolo_v3.jsonconfiguration file with customoperations located in the <OPENVINO_INSTALL_DIR>/deployment_tools/model_optimizer/extensions/front/tfrepository.

What happens if you try the recommended intel/computer_vision_sdk/deployment_tools/model_optimizer/extensions/front/tf/yolo_v3.json ?

[
  {
      "entry_points": ["detector/yolo-v3/Reshape", "detector/yolo-v3/Reshape_4", "detector/yolo-v3/Reshape_8"]
    }
  }
]

In your json above I am not seeing "detector/yolo-v3/Reshape" . 

Just for the record I can also repro your issue if I use your json

Model Optimizer version: 	1.4.292.6ef7232d
[ ERROR ]  List of operations that cannot be converted to IE IR:
[ ERROR ]      Exp (3)
[ ERROR ]          detector/yolo-v3/Exp_2
[ ERROR ]          detector/yolo-v3/Exp
[ ERROR ]          detector/yolo-v3/Exp_1
[ ERROR ]  Part of the nodes was not translated to IE. Stopped. 
 For more information please refer to Model Optimizer FAQ (<INSTALL_DIR>/deployment_tools/documentation/docs/MO_FAQ.html), question #24. 

Cheers,

Nikos 

0 Kudos
Deng__Fucheng
Beginner

Nikos wrote:

Hello Fucheng,

Please note

> To solve the problems explained in the YOLO V3 architecture overview section, use the yolo_v3.jsonconfiguration file with customoperations located in the <OPENVINO_INSTALL_DIR>/deployment_tools/model_optimizer/extensions/front/tfrepository.

What happens if you try the recommended intel/computer_vision_sdk/deployment_tools/model_optimizer/extensions/front/tf/yolo_v3.json ?

[
  {
      "entry_points": ["detector/yolo-v3/Reshape", "detector/yolo-v3/Reshape_4", "detector/yolo-v3/Reshape_8"]
    }
  }
]

In your json above I am not seeing "detector/yolo-v3/Reshape" . 

Cheers,

Nikos 

Hi, Nikos,

I am actually confused by the json file. First, the YOLOv3 has three yolo detection layers, how should I write the json file, just copy it three times and change "mask" to [3,4,5], [6,7,8]

{ "id": "TFYOLOV3", "match_kind": "general", "custom_attributes": { "classes": 80, "coords": 4, "num": 9, "mask": [0, 1, 2], "entry_points": ["detector/yolo-v3/Reshape", "detector/yolo-v3/Reshape_4", "detector/yolo-v3/Reshape_8"] } }

Second, for the entry_points, openvino will not find the "detector/yolo-v3/Reshape" if I just do not change them. So, I changed them according to names used in the converted tensorflow model (the names of yolo detection layers are defined in the converting python code)

Thanks,

Fuchengh

0 Kudos
nikos1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Fuchengh,

>  for the entry_points, openvino will not find the "detector/yolo-v3/Reshape" if I just do not change them. 

That's weird. Works fine here. Please try to follow the steps once again. Did you git checkout fb9f543 from tensorflow-yolo-v3 ?

>  First, the YOLOv3 has three yolo detection layers, how should I write the json file, just copy it three times and change "mask" to [3,4,5], [6,7,8]

That's a good question but may be better to start a new thread (?) so that we can focus on your issue above first. I can only get the 416,416 to work and different mask values do not seem to make any difference.

Nikos

0 Kudos
nikos1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Fuchengh,

Just verified that size 416 will also work from the latest master of tensorflow-yolo-v3.git

Maybe try this to freeze and let us know if you still have issues:

git clone https://github.com/mystic123/tensorflow-yolo-v3.git
cd tensorflow-yolo-v3
python3 convert_weights_pb.py  --weights_file yolov3.weights 
--class_names coco.names.txt  --size 416 --data_format NHWC

# model optimizer
python3 mo_tf.py --input_model ~/artifacts/yolo3/frozen_darknet_yolov3_model.pb 
--tensorflow_use_custom_operations_config 
 ~/intel/computer_vision_sdk/deployment_tools/model_optimizer/extensions/front/tf/yolo_v3.json  
--input_shape=[1,416,416,3] --data_type=FP32

# run     
./object_detection_demo_yolov3_async -i ~/Videos/test.mp4 
-m ./fp32/frozen_darknet_yolov3_model.xml -d CPU -t 0.8

This works fine for me here.

Cheers,

Nikos

0 Kudos
nikos1
Valued Contributor I

JFTR the other issue with YOLO3 608x608 is fixed if we add additional scale values in the sample like shown below

switch (side) {
        //case yolo_scale_13:
        case yolo_scale_19:
            anchor_offset = 2 * 6;
            break;
        //case yolo_scale_26:
        case yolo_scale_38:
            anchor_offset = 2 * 3;
            break;
        //case yolo_scale_52:
        case yolo_scale_76:
            anchor_offset = 2 * 0;
            break;
        default:
            throw std::runtime_error("Invalid output size");
    }

0 Kudos
Deng__Fucheng
Beginner

Nikos wrote:

JFTR the other issue with YOLO3 608x608 is fixed if we add additional scale values in the sample like shown below

switch (side) {
        //case yolo_scale_13:
        case yolo_scale_19:
            anchor_offset = 2 * 6;
            break;
        //case yolo_scale_26:
        case yolo_scale_38:
            anchor_offset = 2 * 3;
            break;
        //case yolo_scale_52:
        case yolo_scale_76:
            anchor_offset = 2 * 0;
            break;
        default:
            throw std::runtime_error("Invalid output size");
    }

Hi, Nikos,

I changed another completely new computer with i5-7300U, and tried again. Yeah, it works fine. Thank you very much!

Fucheng

0 Kudos
nikos1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Fucheng,

Glad to hear it works now!

BTW I also added yolo_scale_10, yolo_scale_20 and yolo_scale_40 for the smaller size YOLO3 and all versions work fine on both CPU and GPU.

Nikos

0 Kudos
KLim4
Beginner

using the latest convert_weights_pb.py and OpenVINO R4.420 got the following shape error:

tensorflow-yolo-v3-master$ python3 convert_weights_pb.py  --weights_file yolov3.weights --class_names coco.names
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "convert_weights_pb.py", line 52, in <module>
    tf.app.run()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/platform/app.py", line 125, in run
    _sys.exit(main(argv))
  File "convert_weights_pb.py", line 42, in main
    load_ops = load_weights(tf.global_variables(scope='detector'), FLAGS.weights_file)
  File "/home/ubuntu/Downloads/tensorflow-yolo-v3-master/utils.py", line 115, in load_weights
    (shape[3], shape[2], shape[0], shape[1]))
ValueError: cannot reshape array of size 338452 into shape (512,256,3,3)

this could be the weight, tensorflow-yolo-v3, or intel tensorflow issue?

0 Kudos
nikos1
Valued Contributor I

No repro after git pull the latest tensorflow-yolo-v3, the following still works well 

Maybe check the size of weights file and download again in case of corruption.

nikos

0 Kudos
KLim4
Beginner

nikos wrote:

No repro after git pull the latest tensorflow-yolo-v3, the following still works well 

Maybe check the size of weights file and download again in case of corruption.

nikos

Yes. It works with latest git pull (i made a mistake in downloading coco.names that is in HTML and download again the raw coco.names to fix the error).

Thanks Nikos!

0 Kudos