Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

NCS1 Error - Could not open NCS device

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am using NCS1 with Oracle VM(Ubuntu16.04) which install at desktop(Ubuntu18.04)

and I follow the steps of https://software.intel.com/en-us/movidius-ncs-get-started

it seems like NCSDK install success

I added both USB filter which Vender ID = 03e7 & f63b

and I checked whether VM get NCS with command "lsusb"

I can see "> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03e7:2150"

but when I use the command "make run"

at dir "~/ncsdk/examples/apps/hello_ncs_py"

it does not work everytime

mostly it fail and output error msg

"Error - Could not open NCS device."

but sometime it works

and will output msg

"Hello NCS! Device opened normally./ Goodbye NCS! Device closed normally./ NCS device working."

I did not change any setting at all

One more thing plus,

I am not sure if it's related to the error

but I notice that everytime

I check USB with command "lsusb" everytime after I give the command "make run"

and the sequence number will plus 1

like this :

cd ncsdk/examples/apps/hello_ncs_py

lsusb

"Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03e7:2150"

make run

msg

lsusb

"Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03e7:2150"

but it still does not work.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee
Hi @Yvonne.chou ,<br> Thanks for contacting us. This problem sounds very familiar and there are a few things that you can try to get it working. As I shared on this thread here https://ncsforum.movidius.com/discussion/1443/error-could-not-open-ncs-device#latest, the steps as explained below may help you resolve your problem. Although this was tested on Windows being the host OS and an Ubuntu 16.04 VM, it should apply to your environment. Find the relevant information and steps below:<br> .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... <ol> <li>Download and install Extension Pack from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads. Once installed make sure it reflects as Active in VirtualBox: File > Preferences > Extensions</li> <li>Make sure to Enable USB Controller and USB3.0 (xHCI) Controller is selected in VM Manager > Settings > USB</li> <li>Install NCSDK v1 (v2 should work too) with <code>make install</code> and <code>make examples</code> (may not be required if already done so)</li> <li>Unplug NCS from host machine and remove, if any, all USB filters in VM: Devices > Settings > USB > USB Settings > Remove Selected Filters</li> <li>Plug NCS to host machine and add a new USB filter in VM: Devices > USB > USB Settings > Add new USB filter with all fields set to values of selected device... > Movidius Ltd. Movidius MA2X5X [0001]. Click OK to apply changes</li> <li>Unplug NCS stick from host machine and plug it back in</li> <li>Run hello_ncs_py found in the examples <code><<path-to>>/ncsdk/examples/apps/hello_ncs_py</code> by executing <code>make run</code>. This should trigger the USB being unplugged noise, just let it do it's thing and <strong>DO NOT</strong> unplug the NCS</li> <li>Add a new USB filter in VM: Devices > USB > USB Settings > Add new USB filter with all fields set to values of selected device... > Movidius VSC Loopback Device [0100]. Click OK to apply changes</li> <li>Repeat items 6 and 7</li> </ol> ..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................<br> Hope you find this helpful, let us know if this resolves the problem.<br> Regards, Luis
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you, Luis

re-pluging NCS seems solve current problem

But if I follow the steps of video(2:42) https://youtu.be/fESFVNcQVVA

it shows msg

[Error 7] Toolkit Error: USB Failure. Code: Error opening device

does re-plug solution only works with "hello_ncs.py"?

I wondering if there is any way that no need to re-plug NCS

and it can keep in connect with VM

Btw

there's another problem now

I download ncappzoo and try to run example"image-classifier" with command

git clone https://github.com/movidius/ncappzoo

cd ncappzoo/apps/image-classifier

make run

and occur following error msg

Exception: mvncStatus.ERROR

Makefile:41: recipe for target 'run' failed

make: ***[run]Error 1

thanks again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can not make examples now

the error msg below begin occur at the second part

[Error 7] Toolkit Error: USB Failure. Code: Error opening device

I believe it's relate to the re-plug issue

Also,

I've tried to run the example "ncsdk/examples/tensorflow/inception_vi"

by command make all but it failed at the second part

so I split it into three parts:

make profile

OK

replug

make check

OK

replug

make compile

OK

replug

make run

ERROR

make: execvp: ./run.py: Permission denied

Makefile:59: recipe for target 'run' failed

make: *** [run] Error 127

it seems like familiar with the error happen with example"ncappzoo/apps/image-classifier"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @Yvonne.chou ,

That is interesting, did you get a chance to take a look at the steps I provided? I am fairly certain that those steps should resolve the re-plugging issue with your device. As far as the make examples is concerned, may I ask which version of the NCSDK and NCAPPZOO are you running? I've seen some issues where the versions don't match and throw some errors, specially when the NCAPPZOOv2 samples are being run using the NCSDKv1.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @Luis_at_Intel ,

I've followed the steps you provided, but it still got the replugging issue

I also tried NCSDKv2,

none of them work.

So,

I use another desktop which is base on Win10 OS and an Ubuntu 16.04 VM,

and follow the steps again,

it works normally this time!

I am not sure if it is related to the host OS

or it just something wrong with my environment setting

thank you for your patient explanation

I'll let you know once I figure these out
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @Yvonne.chou ,

Thank you for the update and for sharing your results. If there are any further questions or comments don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel
0 Kudos