Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6401 Discussions

On Openvino 2021.R1 version can't import cv2

EddieChen
Novice

As the title,

I'm using the openvino 2021.R1 version.

When I import the opencv to my own code, will report error.

Like this:

EddieChen_0-1605766693356.png

"ImportError: DLL load failed while importing cv2"

This situation is occurring to the Openvino environment initialized done.

If initialize done, the python can not be imported the Opencv.

But, I changed to Anaconda environment.

The python can imported openvino-opencv.

Like this:

擷取.PNG

Best regards,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Maksim_S_Intel
Employee

Looks like OpenVINO does not fully support Python 3.8 on Windows yet, because in this version PATH environment variable is not used to find DLLs when loading the module (see https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.8.html#changes-in-the-python-api).

As a workaround try to manually call "os.add_dll_directory" with path to "<openvino>/opencv/bin". If it does not help try to call add_dll_directory for each of location which setupvars.bat script adds to the PATH variable (paths starting in <openvino> root).

Or use Python 3.7.

0 Kudos
EddieChen
Novice

Dear Maksim,

Thank you for your reply.

But, I don't understand.

I'm very confused, when using Anaconda to import opencv, this problem will be solved. 

Also, I'm trying your provide a method, manually call "os.add_dll_directory" this API.

It's seems not working,too.

The reason of I want to use python 3.8, is the memory shared are only supported python version>=3.8.

0 Kudos
Maksim_S_Intel
Employee

I'm very confused, when using Anaconda to import opencv, this problem will be solved. 

I believe conda python applies patches reverting mentioned behavior.

Also, I'm trying your provide a method, manually call "os.add_dll_directory" this API.

It's seems not working,too.

I tried with python 3.8.6 from the official site and it worked for me, please check whether you used double backslash in paths:

os.add_dll_directory("C:\\openvino_2021.1\\deployment_tools\\ngraph\\lib")
os.add_dll_directory("C:\\openvino_2021.1\\deployment_tools\\inference_engine\\external\\tbb\\bin")
os.add_dll_directory("C:\\openvino_2021.1\\deployment_tools\\inference_engine\\bin\\intel64\\Release")
os.add_dll_directory("C:\\openvino_2021.1\\deployment_tools\\inference_engine\\external\\hddl\\bin")
os.add_dll_directory("C:\\openvino_2021.1\\opencv\\bin")

0 Kudos
EddieChen
Novice

Dear Maksim,

Thank you!

I'll try to add the other dll path, and test it!

Best regards,

Eddie

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi EddieChen,

Thanks for reaching out.

This happened because Python 3.8 is not fully supported for OpenVINO 2021.1 toolkit yet. I would suggest you install Python 3.7 version.

Meanwhile, the reason you can import OpenCV when using Anaconda might be the installation of the OpenVINO toolkit from Anaconda Cloud is not specify the version of the Phyton.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos
EddieChen
Novice

Dear Aznie,

Thank you a lot, I got it!

Wish upgrades openvino as soon as possible, which really powerful and convenient!

Best regards,

Eddie

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Eddie,

This thread will no longer be monitored since this issue has been resolved. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Aznie