Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Only boot HDDL plugin on certain device IDs

wcheemasynsor
Beginner

Hi I am using a system with AI Core X (Movidius Myriad X- 2VPUs) and a camera (which also uses a Movidius Myriad VPU). The issue I am encountering is that whenever I run Openvino with the HDDL plugin it attempts to boot up the camera device too which makes the camera unusable until the system is power cycled. Is it possible to limit the HDDL plugin to boot devices with only specific ID?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peh_Intel

Hello wcheemasynsor,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

You can change the Autoboot settings by modifying the hddl_autoboot.config file, which is located in <INSTALL_DIR>/inference_engine/external/hddl/config.

However, I noticed that the device USB product ID (pid) is the same for Movidius Myriad X in Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2 (NCS2) and UP AI Core XP4 (4 VPU) on my side, which is “2485” for unbooted device and “F63B” for booted device. Hence, I will escalate this to our engineering team for a robust solution on how to resolve such configuration.  

For a temporary workaround, try to specify the value of 2 for the total_device_num parameter (by default is 0) in hddl_autoboot.config file. By doing this, the HDDL should initiate VPU as primary and MYRIAD as secondary. This workaround work for me. I connected a NCS2 and UP AI Core XP4 to my machine and then ran a demo with HDDL plugin. The HDDL plugin chose two VPU from the UP AI Core XP4 instead of NCS2. But I am uncertain that the VPU in your camera won’t exclude in the selection. Please also share your results with us.

NOTE: After changing a configuration file, the hddldaemon must be restarted. Re-run the hddldaemon file which is located in <INSTALL_DIR>/inference_engine/external/hddl/bin.

If unable to re-run the hddldaemon file due to HDDL service is running, try to kill the program.

You may refer to this video:

https://youtu.be/EZgCjFXWrUo?t=242

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hello wcheemasynsor,

Since the PID and VID are the same for all the MYRIAD X, the autoboot will load all the USB devices with these VIDs and PIDs. Hence, the previously propose workaround which is specifying the value of 2 for the total_device_num parameter in hddl_autoboot.config file is the best way to prevent the MYRIAD in your camera to boot together with the HDDL plugin.

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hello wcheemasynsor,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question. 

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos