Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Permission Error: Validation Script (Mac OSX 10.15.5)

raymondlo84
New Contributor I

Apparently, the demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run requires to install packages and thus should I run it in sudo? But it also creates another set of permission issues later on? 

raylo@Raymonds-MacBook-Pro demo % ./demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.sh 

target_precision = FP16

[setupvars.sh] OpenVINO environment initialized

###################################################

Downloading the Caffe model and the prototxt

Installing dependencies

Collecting pyyaml (from -r /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/demo/../open_model_zoo/tools/downloader/requirements.in (line 1))

Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/64/c2/b80047c7ac2478f9501676c988a5411ed5572f35d1beff9cae07d321512c/PyYAML-5.3.1.tar.gz

Requirement already satisfied: requests in /Users/raylo/Library/Python/3.8/lib/python/site-packages (from -r /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/demo/../open_model_zoo/tools/downloader/requirements.in (line 2)) (2.24.0)

Requirement already satisfied: certifi>=2017.4.17 in /Users/raylo/Library/Python/3.8/lib/python/site-packages (from requests->-r /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/demo/../open_model_zoo/tools/downloader/requirements.in (line 2)) (2020.6.20)

Requirement already satisfied: urllib3!=1.25.0,!=1.25.1,<1.26,>=1.21.1 in /Users/raylo/Library/Python/3.8/lib/python/site-packages (from requests->-r /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/demo/../open_model_zoo/tools/downloader/requirements.in (line 2)) (1.25.10)

Requirement already satisfied: chardet<4,>=3.0.2 in /Users/raylo/Library/Python/3.8/lib/python/site-packages (from requests->-r /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/demo/../open_model_zoo/tools/downloader/requirements.in (line 2)) (3.0.4)

Requirement already satisfied: idna<3,>=2.5 in /Users/raylo/Library/Python/3.8/lib/python/site-packages (from requests->-r /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/demo/../open_model_zoo/tools/downloader/requirements.in (line 2)) (2.10)

Building wheels for collected packages: pyyaml

Building wheel for pyyaml (setup.py) ... done

Created wheel for pyyaml: filename=PyYAML-5.3.1-cp38-cp38-macosx_10_14_6_x86_64.whl size=44627 sha256=342bff9a0542206639998f7adb2c66f6f15ee1233a8ff6ae6ca9cc1d61a60e64

Stored in directory: /Users/raylo/Library/Caches/pip/wheels/a7/c1/ea/cf5bd31012e735dc1dfea3131a2d5eae7978b251083d6247bd

Successfully built pyyaml

Installing collected packages: pyyaml

ERROR: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Library/Python/3.8/site-packages/PyYAML-5.3.1.dist-info'

Consider using the `--user` option or check the permissions.

WARNING: You are using pip version 19.2.3, however version 20.2.3 is available.

You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
raymondlo84
New Contributor I

We can fix that if we add --user to the end of the pip install script, but what's the general rule for these? We use sudo in the last step, but now switching back to user.

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi Raymond,

We can see that you have installed Python 3.8, which is incompatible with OpenVINO 2020.4.

OpenVINO requires Python 3.5 - 3.7 only.

The Image Classification verification script is ./demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.sh.

With regards to OpenVINO installation, please follow the installation steps as provided in the following guide:

https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/2020.4/openvino_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_macos.html

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
raymondlo84
New Contributor I

ERROR: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Library/Python/3.8/site-packages/PyYAML-5.3.1.dist-info'

Consider using the `--user` option or check the permissions.

I think this issue is not related to the 3.8 or 3.7? What's the best practice for using pip, the documentation is switching between sudo and no sudo.

-ray

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi Raymond,

Permission error occurs when we try to install a package to a system folder for which we don't have permissions to write to. In such cases, user can configure permission access by setting virtual environment or using chmod command to change permission for files and directories.

Having said that, in your case, I validated the issue by installing OpenVINO 2020.4 from scratch on MacOS Catalina (10.15.5) on Mac Mini 3.6GHz Quad-Core Intel i3. I followed the installation guide step by step, and I didn’t encounter the permissions issue that you faced.  

The best practice that I can suggest as far as OpenVINO is concerned is to follow the installation  guide and use the relevant commands (sudo or chmod) in case you have permission issues.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
raymondlo84
New Contributor I

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the Python 3.8 @  Mac 10.15 broke many of the dependencies end-to-end. I wish we can have a check prior to the installation as I had went into the wrong path for a long while before realizing that lack of supports.

I also cross-validated with Linux Ubuntu 18.04, and that was a MUCH MUCH better experience.  I will definitely vote for Ubuntu setup if anyone would like to get on the OpenVINO for the first time. Windows is alright as the command line interfaces are messy but it got GPU driver support.

Mac is an oddball now as it had a hard time utilizing anything. It's also sad as Mac got the best advantage as they don't support NVIDIA. 

Thank you for all the support so far. Really appreciate your time. 

-ray

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi Raymond,

We have highlighted your concerns regarding Python 3.8 support to OpenVINO development team. This thread will no longer be monitored since this issue has been resolved. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos