Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

Problem with OpenVINO on HDDL (UP AI Core XP4)

MPick4
Innovator

Trying to run "Interactive Face Detection" sample on UP AI Core XP4 board. I built the sample using OpenVINO 2019R3 and it runs fine on CPU or GPU. It also runs on NCS2. However, running same model with -d HDDL returns an error:

Cannot load library 'C:\TestHDDL\Release\HDDLPlugin.dll': 126 from cwd: C:\TestHDDL\Release

NOTE: The specified dll is in fact in that location, so the issue isn't that it's missing!

0 Kudos
31 Replies
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello, MPick4, 

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support. Reviewing the details you provided, we can notice that you have some errors running the model with -d HDDL. Did you complete the steps in the Additional Installation Steps for the Intel® Vision Accelerator Design with Intel® Movidius™ VPUs?

Thank you.

Mauricio R. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

A Contingent Worker at Intel.

0 Kudos
MPick4
Innovator

Hi Mauricio,

Yes, I did complete the additional steps. I also ran the verification steps with -d HDDL, and the Squeezenet sample ran successfully. The security barrier camera sample ran but produced slightly unusual output, reporting a framerate of 0.0 fps, although the license plate was detected as expected. It also didn't end gracefully so I had to kill it. In neither case did I get any error like "Cannot load library..."

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Thank you for your response,

I’m glad you are now able to run the sample demos on your device using the HDDL plugin. Could you please run the benchmark app demo, and provide us the results?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MPick4
Innovator
Hi Mauricio, I'm not in front of my test machine right now but will gladly do so later today! Could you please be specific as to which command you want me to try? Is there a .bat file for this? I do believe that I already tried running the benchmarking app with -d HDDL but do you want any other specific flags? Do you also want me to show results with -d GPU or -d CPU? Thanks! Mike
0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hi,

I was suggesting running the demo_benchmark_app.bat with the -d HDDL flag to ensure your device is working properly. Sounds like you are now up and running.

Please, let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Mauricio R.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

A Contingent Worker at Intel.

0 Kudos
MPick4
Innovator
No, I'm still having a problem running the interactive face detection demo. Also I'm not sure if the benchmark results for HDDL trial are quite right. Please find log files and a screenshot attached. Please note that the files "openvino_bench*.txt" are the output from the performance benchmark, as requested. I ran on both GPU and HDDL. Then the files "ifd*.txt" are the output from running the interactive face detection demo, in this case first on CPU then on HDDL. I also attached the output of the error message which was produced from the last run.
0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello, thank you for your response,

We think there might be an issue with your attached files, as we are not able to see them. Could you please check and send them again if possible?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello,

Could it be another way to send the files? We don't have permission from Google drive. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MPick4
Innovator

How about the attachment?

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello, 

I was able to open the log files you sent over. The benchmark_app looks normal, however, the interactive face detection demo tries to load the model to the device but does not succeed. It’s possible the hddl_daemon is displaying error messages. 

Could you try to run the following commands on two terminals and provide the entire output of terminal 1? Please ensure the hddl_daemon is not already running.  

Terminal 1: 

source <Your OpenVINO Install Dir>/bin/setupvars.sh 

cd ${HDDL_INSTALL_DIR}/bin 

./hddldaemon 

Terminal 2: 

source ~/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh 

./interactive_face_detection_demo -d HDDL -i cam -m face-detection-adas-0001.xml 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
MPick4
Innovator

Thanks! I don't believe that the HDDL daemon is running, and that is probably the issue! Just to point out, I'm running on Windows rather than Linux so the commands that you requested won't work as shown. This may in fact be part of the problem! While it seems like some Windows system service that is functionally equivalent to the HDDL daemon is started automatically when the other demos such as the benchmark app is run, when I run the interactive face detection demo this is not happening. How can we get this working please, as we actually need to build and deploy our own custom app that will run our inferences using the HDDL system.

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Thank you for your response,

We will try to run the steps on Windows to check if they work successfully. We will answer you back with the results that we get, to help you further.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello MPick4, 

Could you try to start the hddldaemon with the following commands on a second terminal? Quotes are needed as there are spaces in the path. 

"C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\openvino\bin\setupvars.bat" 

"C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\openvino\deployment_tools\inference_engine\external\hddl\bin\hddldaemon.exe" 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
MPick4
Innovator

This causes another window to open with output results from autoboot.exe, which seems to indicate that 4 HDDL devices are detected and initialized. Then the original winidow logs a couple of messages about not being able to find key for scheduler_config so it's using default values, then various info messages about a SqueezeScheduler being created on 4 devices, as well as a DeviceManager being created. The messages conclude that "SERVICE IS READY ..."

This looks promising!!

Now let me see if I can run something with -d HDDL to see if it's working!!

BTW, we did some testing before with -d MYRIAD on the same machine, with no NCS2 attached but with the UP AI Core XP4 installed, and somewhat curiously, the inferences ran successfully. I'm guessing that only one of the available four devices was used in that case...

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Thank you,

It sounds good. Please try to run something with -d HDDL, and tell us back the results you get doing this.

0 Kudos
MPick4
Innovator

Hi Mauricio,

Sorry, so far we've had no luck, but keep getting an error message about not being able to open the camera. Not sure exactly what's going on!

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

No problem. Could you please provide us the complete error message that you are getting now?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MPick4
Innovator

NOPE! We still get the error "Failed to create plugin..." and "Cannot load library..." with same information as before!

0 Kudos
MPick4
Innovator

The above was after trying the interactive face detection demo, with the hddldaemon running already.

0 Kudos