Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Run AVX instructions on a non-supported AVX CPU

Gouveia__César
New Contributor I

Hi, 

What happens if I try to run a pre-compiled AVX dll (with a set of AVX operations) on a CPU that does not support AVX? I suppose it will give some sort of illegal instruction error and the code will stop. Does OpenVINO have any counter-measures to face this? OpenVINO functions/operations certainly make use of AVX, does it rollback to some baseline functions when the CPU where the code is being executed does not have AVX support?

Thanks,

César.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sahira_Intel

Hi César,

If you're installing OpenVINO on a CPU that does not support AVX instructions, the installation will fail. As per the system requirements, a 6th to 10th generation Intel Core, Intel Xeon processor, Pentium® processor N4200/5, N3350/5, N3450/5 with Intel® HD Graphics is required. There aren't any workarounds to this that are verified by Intel. 

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Best Regards,

Sahira 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sahira_Intel

Hi César,

If you're installing OpenVINO on a CPU that does not support AVX instructions, the installation will fail. As per the system requirements, a 6th to 10th generation Intel Core, Intel Xeon processor, Pentium® processor N4200/5, N3350/5, N3450/5 with Intel® HD Graphics is required. There aren't any workarounds to this that are verified by Intel. 

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Best Regards,

Sahira 

0 Kudos
Gouveia__César
New Contributor I

Thanks for the quick response Sahira,

Just another question, what happens if I try to run a pre-compiled AVX dll (with a set of AVX operations) on another system/solution which uses OpenVINO backend but with a CPU that does not support AVX, eventually it will crash because of invalid instructions right?

Thanks,

César.

0 Kudos