Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

SDK installation problems on Ubuntu 16.04 with ROS Lunar Loggerhead

idata
Employee

Hello Community! Just today I got my hands on a beautifully blue Movidius Neural Compute Stick.

In the back of it there is a link pointing to developer.movidius.com/start. I typed it into my trusty Firefox and it loaded, showing me simple instructions, which I followed.

Instructions were

1.1 - get Ubuntu 16.04

1.2 - have a NCS

1.3 - internet connection

Okay so far. Then

2.1 - open terminal

2.2 -

mkdir -p ~/workspace

cd ~/workspace

git clone https://github.com/movidius/ncsdk.git

cd ~/workspace/ncsdk

make install

2.3 - have an espresso

2.4 - check "Setup is complete."

Now it gets interesting

3.1 - plug the NCS

3.2 -

cd ~/workspace/ncsdk

make examples <-- errors during this

Just to make sure, I ran _make examples_ a number of times. Caffe/AlexNet would invariably fail (the other ImageNets too).

The attached .txt files are the terminal outputs for each step. install.txt is the installation log from the second installation. make_1.txt, make_2.txt, make_3.txt and make_5.txt are outputs with the NCS plugged in and make_4.txt is without the NCS plugged in (a bit useless but who knows)

I have ROS Lunar Loggerhead installed and sourced and I know it installs its own OpenCV package. AlexNet uses OpenCV and the Movidius installation had another OpenCV installation. Could this be the problem? How do I diagnose this? The logs didn't say a thing about missing libraries or includes not found. The only hits for "warning" were

/usr/local/bin/ncsdk/Controllers/FileIO.py:52: UserWarning: You are using a large type. Consider reducing your data sizes for best performance

What should I do?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

My initial suspicions were right. Doing sudo apt purge ros-* and sudo apt autoremove were enough to make the SDK examples work. Too bad I don't have ROS anymore. Maybe installing it on a virtual environment solves the OpenCV conflict? I'll try this later.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I definitely said that too early. Caffe still has some problems. Reinstall log is here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@jontzbaker Hi, can you try using NCSDK 2 and see if it works for you? NCSDK2 is on the ncsdk2 branch of the ncsdk github repo. You can clone the repo by using the command: git clone -b ncsdk2 https://github.com/movidius/ncsdk.

0 Kudos