Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Train from scratch with Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2 (Intel® NCS 2)

Jean-Claude_KOUASSI

Is it possible to train from scratch with Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2 (Intel® NCS 2)?

In the provided examples I only see transfer learning methods. 

And when will this new Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2 (Intel® NCS 2) will be available on Amazon? Only them can directly ship on my country (Côte d'Ivoire) this type of material. Currently only the ancient Movidius™ is available.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Severine_H_Intel
Employee

Dear Jean-Claude, 

the NCS 2 focuses on deploying networks for inference. Therefore, it is not adapted for training, I would suggest you look first at training on CPU and eventually to GPU.

Best, 

Severine

0 Kudos
Le_Meur__Eric
Beginner

hello i am a beginner can you please explain me why NCS2 isn't for training models. It will be usefull to be able to train with. in simple words can you expalin why NCS2 wasn't design for training.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Le Meur, Eric,

The reason you cannot train models with NCS2 is because the hardware was built for inference not training. The device is advertised as "inference at the edge" - and that is exactly what it was built to do. By "edge" it means, no AWS or Azure or GCP required. Hardware meant for training is highly parallel, like GPUs. OK you can use CPU for training as well. I guess you're wondering, can I try it and see what happens ? Sure, why not. But I'm not sure it will work because like I said, NCS2 was not designed to train models (though in fact, it's a highly parallel device).

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos
dalai__dibyajyoti

Does Intel provide any device where we can train the model? 

0 Kudos