Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Use OpenVino in Debian Stretch

cidervul
Beginner

Hi,

I am starting with openvino and NCS2 and I am wondering if it could be possible to use openvino in debian stretch.

I know that, officially, only ubuntu and centos is supported but I don't know why it could not be possible to make it working with debian stretch.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Onemikeoscar, 

yes we do indeed support raspbian stretch. Please check the following online documentation.

https://github.com/opencv/opencv/wiki/Intel%27s-Deep-Learning-Inference-Engine-backend#raspbian-stretch

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos
cidervul
Beginner

Shubha R. (Intel) wrote:

Dear Onemikeoscar, 

yes we do indeed support raspbian stretch. Please check the following online documentation.

https://github.com/opencv/opencv/wiki/Intel%27s-Deep-Learning-Inference-Engine-backend#raspbian-stretch

Thanks,

Shubha

Yes, but, if i try to install it in debian with the official installer a warning message appears telling me that it debian is not supported. 

0 Kudos
Jitendra_S_Intel
Employee

I have same request. Installing OpenVINO on x86 Debian Stretch machine.

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Onemikeoscar and jay07920,

unfortunately at this time we do not support Debian Stretch. We may support it in the future, however, based on customer demand. You are welcome to build the infrastructure to support Debian Stretch yourself - after all OpenVino is open source ! Check out our dldt github :

https://github.com/opencv/dldt.git 

And thanks for your interest in OpenVino !

Shubha

0 Kudos
om77
New Contributor I

Actually Ubuntu 16.04 binaries should work on Debian Stretch.

The job to be done here is mostly related to changing install scripts.

0 Kudos
Maksim_S_Intel
Employee

Probably you can trick installer by replacing /etc/lsb-release file temporarily to the one from Ubuntu 16 or 18.

0 Kudos
om77
New Contributor I

Debian doesn't have /etc/lsb-release. It uses /usr/bin/lsb_release instead.

I would start here from copying /etc/lsb-release from Ubuntu 16.04 to Debian Stretch and review all the scripts containing "lsb-release".

May be the best way would be is to copy /etc/lsb-release from Ubuntu 16.04 system to Debian Stretch system into folder /opt/intel.

And next (before installation OpenVino) to change in OpenVino install scripts "/etc/lsb-release" to "/opt/intel/lsb-release". 

0 Kudos
yang__jun
Beginner

Fake a /etc/lsb-release file with the following content, and you will be able to fool the installer into thinking your system is a Ubuntu. After installation, you can delete the /etc/lsb-release file.

----------------------------------------------------

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=xenial
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04 LTS"

----------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos