Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Windows installation instructions don't work

Kulecz__Walter
New Contributor I

I've wasted most of the day on this :)

The Linux instructions had some problems, mostly root permissions on things copied/installed in my home directory but the demos worked after some chown -R commands.  I've successfully run some downloaded GitHub sample code and have been mostly impressed with the speedup of the NCS2 over the original NCS , although with a decent i5 CPU software only face detection is still a bit faster than with the NCS2.  On an old i5 lacking the AVX & AVX2 either NCS gives a higher frame rate than CPU only.  I haven't attempted the GPU install yet, not sure these "weak" i3 and i5 machines available to me have a new enough version of the integrated graphics.

In any event on Windows 10 I seem to have completed every step successfully but when I get to the "Use Demo scripts to verify your installation" it fails with ridiculous and contradictory error messages

I open a command promt.

setup the variables with: 

and then:

cd C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk\deployment_tools\demo\

followed by:

demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.bat

Which errors out with:

Target folder C:\Users\MINI PC\Documents\Intel\OpenVINO\inference_engine_samples_2017 already exists. Skipping samples building.
If you want to rebuild samples, remove the entire C:\Users\MINI PC\Documents\Intel\OpenVINO\inference_engine_samples_2017 folder.

Waiting for 0 seconds, press a key to continue ...

###############|| Run Inference Engine classification sample ||###############

Waiting for 0 seconds, press a key to continue ...
The system cannot find the path specified.
        0 file(s) copied.
The system cannot find the path specified.
classification_sample.exe -i c:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk\deployment_tools\demo\\car.png -m "C:\Users\MINI PC\Documents\Intel\OpenVINO\openvino_models\ir\FP32\classification\squeezenet\1.1\caffe\squeezenet1.1.xml" -d CPU
'classification_sample.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Error

There clearly is no C:\Users\MINI PC\Documents\Intel\OpenVINO\inference_engine_samples_2017 directory when I look with the file browser.

If I do:

dir C:\Users\MINI PC\Documents\Intel\OpenVINO

I get: The system cannot find the path specified.

But if I do:

dir "C:\Users\MINI PC\Documents\Intel\OpenVINO"

I get:

0 files 0 bytes.

Clearly the installations scripts can't deal with spaces in folder/filenames.  Windows lusers seem to like spaces in folder/filenames.  Its not my system, I'm just trying to install OpenVINO on it.

How do I fix this? and why did it get this far without apparent problems?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hill__Aaron
Novice

Modify the batch file to place quotation marks around the environment variables on every line that starts "if exists ..."

You may also have to define the http_proxy and https_proxy environment variables at the top of the script

You may also have to remove the --user argument from the call to pip if you are executing the script inside a pip virtual environment.

Implementing all those modification on my system allowed the batch script to execute without error.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Hill__Aaron
Novice

Modify the batch file to place quotation marks around the environment variables on every line that starts "if exists ..."

You may also have to define the http_proxy and https_proxy environment variables at the top of the script

You may also have to remove the --user argument from the call to pip if you are executing the script inside a pip virtual environment.

Implementing all those modification on my system allowed the batch script to execute without error.

0 Kudos
Kulecz__Walter
New Contributor I

The more I click around the links about installing on Windows the more wrong information I'm finding.

For example in this video:

https://techdecoded.intel.io/quickhits/get-started-with-the-openvino-toolkit-install-on-windows/#gs.W6966GUo

States python 3.5 or higher is required.  This is wrong as the install fails at the pip install of tensorflow for lack of a version for python 3.7.1 

Seems python 3.6.5 is the newest that will work to allow the "Configure the Model Optimizer" step to complete.

I'm stuck on step 5: "Run two demos"

Even doing it in a runas Administrator cmd window still doesn't work telling me:

Target folder C:\Users\MINI PC\Documents\Intel\OpenVINO\inference_engine_samples_2017 already exists.

When clearly it does not!

0 Kudos
Kulecz__Walter
New Contributor I

Hill, Aaron wrote:

This appears to have gotten the examples to compile, i.e.  I have the exe file in Intel64\Release

But it appears that in the previous step to download and "compile" the models didn't work i.e. there is no OpenVINO\openvino_models  directory.

I also had to put quotes around the python commands.

I can see this is going to be a major PITA to get all the models downloaded. :(

Thanks for providing the "Rosetta Stone" clue!

0 Kudos