Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eran_L_Intel
Employee

ie_cpu_extension compilation errors in Linux due to -Werror

I'm trying to use the CPU extension for basic samples (with 2019.3.379), and compilation works fine under Windows.

Under Linux, the first issue I run into is that I get:

../inference_engine/src/extension/ext_list.cpp:45:2: error: extra ';' [-Werror=pedantic]
 };
  ^
../inference_engine/src/extension/ext_list.cpp:59:2: error: extra ';' [-Werror=pedantic]
 };
  ^

These are both due to -Werror enabled. Looking at the .cmake:

# treating warnings as errors
if (WIN32)
    if (TREAT_WARNING_AS_ERROR)
        set (CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} /WX")
    endif ()
    if (${CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ID} STREQUAL MSVC)
        set (CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} /wd4251 /wd4275 /wd4267") #disable some warnings
    endif()
else()
    set (CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -Werror")
endif()

Why is the Windows behavior dependent on TREAT_WARNING_AS_ERROR, but the non-Windows different?

-Eran

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Hi Eran,

I haven't seen this issue. May I know your OS, system details and command history to build and run the OpenVINO samples?

Note:

-Wpedantic or -pedantic flag will issue all the warnings demanded by strict ISO C and ISO C++; reject all programs that use forbidden extensions, and some other programs that do not follow ISO C and ISO C++. For ISO C, follows the version of the ISO C standard specified by any -std option used.

Valid ISO C and ISO C++ programs should compile properly with or without this option (though a rare few require -ansi or a -std option specifying the required version of ISO C). However, without this option, certain GNU extensions and traditional C and C++ features are supported as well. With this option, they are rejected.

Eran_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Kumar,

This is on an Intel NUC running Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, GNU 7.4.

The ie_cpu_extension is invoked from within another project, like this:

set(IE_ROOT_DIR "${INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR}/inference_engine")
include(${INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR}/inference_engine/share/InferenceEngineConfig.cmake)
target_link_libraries(<target> <other-dependencies...> ${InferenceEngine_LIBRARIES} ie_cpu_extension)

The parent project does use -pedantic, but -Werror comes from the inference_engine/src/extension/CMakeLists.txt I quoted above. The warning itself is warranted (the .cpp has semicolons that are NOT needed) and harmless, but -Werror turns it into an error and that's no good.

Hi Eran,

Ok, this is related to project hierarchy. You are free to customize the openvino cmake. Just replicate the windows cmake branching to the non-windows one. Maybe it have a different flag, but you can give a try with a relevant flag.

# treating warnings as errors
if (WIN32)
        set (CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} /WX")
    endif ()
    if (${CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ID} STREQUAL MSVC)
        set (CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} /wd4251 /wd4275 /wd4267") #disable some warnings
    endif()
else()
       set (CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -Werror")
    endif()
endif()

Eran_L_Intel
Employee

I did more than changing the CMake, I fixed the source code. :)

However, our users (this is open-source code) will not get a good experience if they come across this and should not be expected to fix it on their own.

In my humble opinion, OpenVINO source should: 1. Not use -Werror (which forces us to deal with these kinds of issues) and 2. Remove the semicolons in the .cpp, so as not to generate warnings. The other warnings (/wd4251, etc.) on Windows are also very annoying and I actually had to place '#pragma warning' directives to disable them.

Thanks and cheers!

Hi Eran,

Thank you for the valuable feedback. It will be reported to OpenVINO development team.