Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

openVINO Demo Error

Serdjan_R_Intel
Employee

When I run the security barrier camera demo (after having installed openVINO).  The following error occurs:

Python 3.6.5                                                                                                            ECHO is off.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ###############|| Generate VS solution for Inference Engine samples using cmake ||###############                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Waiting for 0 seconds, press a key to continue ...                                                                      Creating Visual Studio 2015 (x64) files in C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.1.265\deployment_tools\demo\\..\inference_engine\samples\build...                                                                                                  "C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.1.265\deployment_tools\demo\\..\inference_engine\samples\build"                      -- Selecting Windows SDK version  to target Windows 10.0.14393.                                                         CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:17 (project):                                                                               Failed to run MSBuild command:                                                                                                                                                                                                                    C:/Program Files (x86)/MSBuild/14.0/bin/MSBuild.exe                                                                                                                                                                                           to get the value of VCTargetsPath:                                                                                                                                                                                                                Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 14.0.25420.1                                                                         Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.                                                                                                                                                                                       Build started 6/5/2018 1:57:39 PM.                                                                                      Project "C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.1.265\deployment_tools\inference_engine\samples\build\CMakeFiles\3.11.3\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" on node 1 (default targets).                                                                          C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\v140\Toolset.targets(36,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 8.1 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".           Done Building Project "C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.1.265\deployment_tools\inference_engine\samples\build\CMakeFiles\3.11.3\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.                                                                                                                                                                                    Build FAILED.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   "C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.1.265\deployment_tools\inference_engine\samples\build\CMakeFiles\3.11.3\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->                                                                                       (Desktop_PlatformPrepareForBuild target) ->                                                                               C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\v140\Toolset.targets(36,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 8.1 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".                                                                                                                                     0 Warning(s)                                                                                                            1 Error(s)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Time Elapsed 00:00:00.65                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Exit code: 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!                                                                             See also "C:/Intel/computer_vision_sdk_2018.1.265/deployment_tools/inference_engine/samples/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".                                                                                                                  Error     

What can I do to fix this?                          

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Yi_G_Intel1
Employee

from error log, it says "The Windows SDK version 8.1 was not found". Are you using Visual Studio 2015 or not? I just built it, it has no problem.

0 Kudos
Serdjan_R_Intel
Employee

Yes I have Visual Studio 2015 installed, and I did not receive a warning for lacking that program when I installed openVINO.  

Am I doing something wrong by running the demo from the command prompt?

0 Kudos
Yi_G_Intel1
Employee

in the log message, it complains that you didn't install window SDK8.1. if you are using visual studio 2015 update3, you need to install it separately. You can reference following to install it.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-8-1-sdk

0 Kudos
Serdjan_R_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the help.  The Demo now gets past the SDK check, but an error pops up as below:

No CMAKE_C_COMPILER could be found.

What can I do to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
Monique_J_Intel
Employee

Hi Serdjan,

When you installed VS2015 did you select the c++ package?  if you just install VS2015 without customizing your install to select the c++ package then by default it comes without it and you can get such error.

Kind Regards,

Monique Jones

0 Kudos
Ajioz
Beginner

Hello @Monique_J_Intel , which of the visual studio does one needs to install without this plenty headache.  I have been having a similar issue asked here for a while now.  I am using VS 2015 too.

Your kind response is anticipated.

0 Kudos
Serdjan_R_Intel
Employee

I have installed the Visual C++ Package for my Visual Studio 2015 but I still receive the same error.

Do I have to install the package when I first install Studio?

0 Kudos
Monique_J_Intel
Employee

Hi Serdjan,

You can try to modify the Installation and add the Visual C++ package. If that doesn't work then you may have to reinstall VS 2015 and select the Visual C++ package as it doesn't come selected by default.

Kind Regards,

Monique Jones

0 Kudos
Serdjan_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Monique,

I've gotten openVINO to work on Linux, so I will not be needing any more assistance.

Thank you for providing help.

Serdjan

0 Kudos
Deanne_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Serdjan,

I'm trying to keep an eye out for documentation defects. Was your issue related to the documentation?

Deanne

0 Kudos
Serdjan_R_Intel
Employee

I don't think so.

It likely had something to do with installing Visual Studio from the Intel Software Market on Windows OS.

0 Kudos