Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

openvino 2022.3.1 does not see my ncs2

wearyhacker
New Contributor I

Openvino 2022.3.1 on ubuntu 22.04 is not seeing my ncs2 stick.

I purged my other installations of Openvino and installed Openvino 2022.3.1

pip install openvino-dev==2022.3.1

I have a small test script the looks for Openvino devices.

#!/usr/bin/env python
from openvino.runtime import Core
core = Core()
print(core.available_devices)

This give me the following output.

roger@dragon:~$ ncs2test
['CPU']
roger@dragon:~$ 

My ncs2stick is plugged in

Bus 001 Device 009: ID 03e7:2485 Intel Movidius MyriadX

My 97-myriad-usbboot.rules contains the following.

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2150", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03e7", GROUP="users", MODE="0660", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2485", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03e7", GROUP="users", MODE="0660", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f63b", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03e7", GROUP="users", MODE="0660", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

How do I find out what is going on here?

Have a made a stupid mistake?

Is there any way I can get any trace output of the openvino probe process?

Does the 2022.3.1 release have support for ncs2 built in?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
wearyhacker
New Contributor I

I have finally worked it out.

Just activating an openvino-dev python environment from a shell where setupvars.sh has not been run only shows the CPU as an available device.

Ruuning setupvars.sh from a working  c++ install of openvino. Then activating an openvino-dev python environment, shows the MYRIAD device as well!

I have not investigated why this is the case. But it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Hairul_Intel

Hi wearyhacker,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

For your information, you'll need to install OpenVINO Runtime package in order to use MYRIAD device. Follow the Install OpenVINO™ Runtime on Linux from an Archive File guide and complete the NCS2 Setup Guide.

Here is the result for running Hello Query Device python sample and printing out the available devices:

hello_query.pngprint_devices.png

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Hairul

0 Kudos
wearyhacker
New Contributor I

Hairul,

Your reply does not make a lot of sense to me. I am trying to set up 2202.3.1 python environment on Ubuntu 22.04 that will drive an NCS2 USB stick.

Why do I need to install the C++ libraries as well? I assumed that the python packages mirrored the functionality of the C++ libraries.

Is this because the Python packages do not support the NCS2, whereas the c++ libraries do support NCS2?

If that is the case I will happily switch to c++. I was only taking the python route because it seemed to give me a quick and easy way to test the stick. I am not a big fan of python anyway

Roger

0 Kudos
wearyhacker
New Contributor I

I have finally worked it out.

Just activating an openvino-dev python environment from a shell where setupvars.sh has not been run only shows the CPU as an available device.

Ruuning setupvars.sh from a working  c++ install of openvino. Then activating an openvino-dev python environment, shows the MYRIAD device as well!

I have not investigated why this is the case. But it works.

0 Kudos
wearyhacker
New Contributor I

So to summarize. If you want to use c++ or the python api just install the c++ openvino from the 2022.3.1 archive. Running

source /opt/intel/openvino_2022/setupvars.sh

will set up both the c++ and python environments. So you can just run the python command in the same shell environment that setupvars.sh has been sourced in.

If you need to run the python dev toolkit in a venv just ensure that setupvars.sh has been sourced before you do it.

0 Kudos
Hairul_Intel

Hi wearyhacker,

For clarification purposes, OpenVINO™ Runtime package install from PyPI only includes a set of libraries for Intel® CPU and Intel® GPU hardware.

To configure VPU (MYRIAD), please download OpenVINO™ Runtime package using Installer.

This thread will no longer be monitored since this issue has been resolved. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Hairul

0 Kudos