Intel® Embree Ray Tracing Kernels
Discussion forum on the open source ray tracing kernels for fast photo-realistic rendering on Intel® CPU(s)

MLS Point Set Surfaces

tb3
Beginner

Hi,

I'm very interested in implementing basic (projection) moving least squares-based point set surfaces using Embree. However, the library seems mostly optimized for triangle meshes, so I'm curious whether my idea is possible at all with reasonable effort.

I already did the same thing using NVIDIA's OptiX library. While the implementation itself was relatively easy thanks to OptiX's support for arbitrary geometry in the BVH and fully programmable ray-surface intersection tests, the resulting performance was rather suboptimal (solving several linear systems per ray stresses the GPU's memory bottleneck).

Is Embree suitable for (iteratively refined) polynomial surface definitions / intersections instead of triangle meshes?

Thank you very much!

Regards, Tim

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SvenW_Intel

The current version of Embree does not support user defined primitives directly. However, you can of course modify the code to let the ray/primitive intersection do what you need.

0 Kudos