Intel® Embree Ray Tracing Kernels
Discussion forum on the open source ray tracing kernels for fast photo-realistic rendering on Intel® CPU(s)
280 Discussions

Rendering CSG geometry with Embree

s_schimper
Novice

Hello,

I am working on the integration of Embree to our home renderer. So far, Embree has tremendously sped up rendering scenes with triangle meshes, triangles and quads for us (I owe you a great deal of gratitude for that).

However, our home renderer supports rendering Constructive Solid Geometries, and currently I find myself figuring out how to get Embree to work with CSG scenes.

My question therefore is, is Embree suitable for CSG rendering? There are approaches involving the collection of intersection points with Embree and then, during a post-processing step, evaluating these according to a CSG tree, which I am also following at the moment. This works for me, but due to additional work, this approach slows down the rendering time. I haven't found anything in the user documentation or tutorials yet concerning CSG rendering (and I should probably let you know that I am not a very much experienced programmer, therefore I don't think I would be able to alter the Embree source code for my needs).

If I am correct with my assumption that CSG rendering is currently not supported by Embree, will it be at some point in the future?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and support!

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BenthinC_Intel
Employee

Embree does not directly support CSG rendering but you can implement CSG primitives yourself using "user geometries" and collect intersection points using "intersection filters". There's no need to modify the Embree source code that way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BenthinC_Intel
Employee

Embree does not directly support CSG rendering but you can implement CSG primitives yourself using "user geometries" and collect intersection points using "intersection filters". There's no need to modify the Embree source code that way.

0 Kudos
s_schimper
Novice

Thank you very much for your input.

0 Kudos