Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1182 Discussions

Can't launch Questa Intel FPGA Simulation software...

TrineSYS
Beginner

make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file.

The env variable is set correctly.  Path is set.  Have licensing for either QuestaSim or Starter edition.  Error happens with either installed.  Previously worked when ModelSim licensing was not expired and utilized, so I know the server with the license file is set (firewall-wise).  Also tried editing .tcl mentioned in other posts to remove double-quotes or to add additional at end of line 122 without either affecting outcome.  Completely lost as to getting this work.  Needing for programming class at higher-ed lab.

Using Quartus Prime Standard Edition, (currently with Intel FPGA QuestaSim) - license expiring SEPT 2024.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
SyafieqS
Employee

Make sure to check the license path in env variable.

To set it properly sometimes all this minor can cause hard time.

0 Kudos
TrineSYS
Beginner

Thanks for the reply on checking the license path environment variable.  The path is set correctly (hasn't changed actually).  Additionally, other portions of the licensing file is read and seen within the app when going into the 'License Setup' area.  Only have an indication of licensing issue when trying to run simulation.  Only thing changed from prior year was that we replaced ModelSim with QuestaSim due to ModelSim being EOL and no longer able to renew the University academic licensing.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS
Employee

Did you have any Questa license? if you used paid one, you need license, if you use free one also need license which can be generated in sslc. Please verify that since the message is pointing to licensing

0 Kudos
TrineSYS
Beginner

This is just a snip of the initial part of the license file.  For giggles I have both the Starter edition and the Questa Plus version licensed as shown in the product summary.  The other features in the license file are populating within the application as found under 'License Setup'

TrineSYS_0-1696335239574.png

Also, here is the end of the license file where the Questasim licensing has been included.

TrineSYS_1-1696335552606.png

0 Kudos
SyafieqS
Employee

Just for sanity check, if you are using free license, specify it correctly, does Questa able to launch? Questa Starter Edition.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS
Employee

Let me know if there is any update from previous reply

0 Kudos
c1ron2023
Beginner

Assuming you have the free licence for Questa Intel FPGA Starter Edition, and you open the simulation from Quartus tools menu:

Quartus > Tools > Options > General > EDA Tool Options > Questa Intel FPGA > C:/intelFPGA_lite/<ed>/questa_fse/win64.

0 Kudos
hdubb
Beginner

I am stuck with the same problem. I have verified c1ron2023's instruction to be true for me and the above sympotoms to be the same as what is going on with my system.

The below is the error I am getting:

hdubb_0-1705117576066.png

Any insights on what might be going on?

0 Kudos