Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1155 Discussions

Feeding license file/server to quartus_sh through terminal

DYaro1
Novice

Hello,

I need a terminal command / script to "give" quartus_sh a license server address. The closest I've come to that is using the LM_LICENSE_FILE env variable, but I have a problem with it - Quartus in GUI mode automatically prefers the text box input instead of the LM_LICENSE_FILE. I can tick V in the "Use LM_LICENSE_FILE variable" box to make it prefer the env variable, and it will work until the saved configuration changes, but I want a way to do that without opening GUI - pure terminal commands.

It can be either through LM_LICENSE_FILE or any other command, but I want Quartus to get where to take licenses from without opening GUI at all.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Could you try this...go to c:/user/<username>/quartus2.ini and edit LICENSE_FILE = LM_LICENSE_FILE

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to INTEL forum. To narrow down this issue. Can you provide your

1) Machine OS information

2) Quartus version

Here some information on how to set the license service.

Windows and Linux: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/quartus_install.pdf  

You can also refer this following YouTube for license setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob9ei5lMgGE      

Refer to this following YouTube on Setting up and debugging Quartus floating licenses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llLaWatUbe8     

DYaro1
Novice

Hello AAbd,

Thanks for helping me out.

As I won't be at work for a couple of days I currently have only partial info for you. If you need more please do tell me.

I'm using quartus 14, but may sometimes use different versions (16, 18), so I need a general solution as possiblr. I'm sing Ubuntu OS. Exact version is unknown to me right now as I said.

The background to the problem is - I want to use automated testing. We use Jenkins which basically runs a set of CLI commands for the testing. As part of the test we use Quartus.

For this, I want a way to setup a license server address to quartus, but using only CLI/ bash cmds, as the testing software can't use GUI.

The way I used to pass lecense server location to quartus during tests was through LM_LICENSE_FILE env variable. During using our automated testings Quartus could'nt find license. We identified the problem as quartus prefering dialog-box input upon using LM_LICENSE_FILE as specified in the link you gave me, and in some other documents:

Capture.PNGWe temporarily solved this problem by opening GUI, and through GUI manually chose to use LM_LICENSE_FILE instead of the dialog-box. Quartus keeps this settings, so we now can run our tests wihtout problems (as quartus now prefers the use of LM_LICENSE_FILE). But if the settings will somehow change / reset to default the issue will rise again.

Therefore, I'm searching for a tcl script/bash/terminal command that setups the license file/server without using GUI, or alternatively a command that tells Quartus to prefer search for license through LM_LICENSE_FILE instead of the dialog-box input, again, without using GUI.

Thanks again for the help,

Dan

AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Could you try this...go to c:/user/<username>/quartus2.ini and edit LICENSE_FILE = LM_LICENSE_FILE

DYaro1
Novice

Hi,

It does work, thank you AAbd.

In fact it can be done completly through terminal by the set_user_option tcl command:

quartus_sh --tcl_eval set_user_option -name LICENSE_FILE LM_LICENSE_FILE

Again, I really appriciate your help, thanks.

Dan

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Sounds good, hope everything is working well at your side.

0 Kudos