Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1193 Discussions

Is ModelSim-Intel® FPGAs Standard Edition Software Version free of license?

Jsun1
Beginner

Hi,

I'm looking for a windows verilog simulator for learning purpose that is free of a license.  This ModelSim edition [https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software-kit/750368/modelsim-intel-fpgas-standard-edition-software-version-18-1.html] was found by google and it seems that no license is required to start the simulation. So to confirm, could anyone let me know if it does or does not require a license? Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
there's no free license for ModelSim Intel Standard Edition, free Intel Starter Edition is however included with the download and can be selected during installation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
there's no free license for ModelSim Intel Standard Edition, free Intel Starter Edition is however included with the download and can be selected during installation.
0 Kudos
Jsun1
Beginner

That's great, thanks for your explanation!

0 Kudos
SDunc1
Beginner

Hi

Just curious - What are the limitations placed on the free edition over the standard edition?

0 Kudos
Jsun1
Beginner

Hi SDunc1,

If I understand correctly, the constraints put on the starter version include:

• The simulation speed is very slow.
  • There is upperbound on the number of instances.
  • Also from my experience, there is no detailed explanation if the compilation fails.

You can have a check on this line: https://groups.google.com/g/comp.arch.fpga/c/wUIKdxgtbNI

Good luck!

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for your answer @FvM. We hope all is well. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos