Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1143 Discussions

Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition 2020.3 Pro and 2020.1 Standard license problem

Elit
New Contributor I

Hi

I'm trying to run the Verilog HDL Testbench for a Single /Two Avalon-MM Master and Slave Pair.

With Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition 2019.4 Pro everything is good, but with 2020.3 Pro and 2020.1 Standard I get a messages like this:

# ** License Issue: License request for alteramtivlog feature failed

# ** License Issue: No such feature exists. (C:\FLEXLM\tools.lic)

# ** Error: Failure to obtain a Verilog simulation license. Unable to checkout any of these license features: 'alteramtivsim' or 'alteramtivlog'.

Our License File C:\FLEXLM\tools.lic

Our Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition License Expires 13-Oct-2021.

How to fix it ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
59 Replies
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

I started lmgrd server with lmtools.exe.

Added created debug.log file

Thanks

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. I’m checking your case with teammate. Please give me some time. Thanks

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

May we know, did you save the file as license.dat and place this file in C:\flexlm?

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

Yes, we put the  license.dat file in the directory C:\FLEXLM.

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. Could you provide Screenshot of Quartus II>>tools>>license setup for checking.

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

Elit_0-1606201430479.png

Attached license.dat file.

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for your update. At this point we could not see clearly what cause the failure. May we know, did you use remote desktop to compile modelsim?

2) How many Modelsim software is launched when you see this error?

3) Can you help check the environment setup for LM_LICENSE_FILE and MGLS_LICENSE_FILE? Provide me the screenshot.

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

We only use one Modelsim at a time, we do not use Remote Desktop Connection.

Elit_0-1606303091681.png

Once again, I emphasize that Modelsim Intel Edition Pro19.4 works fine, but Modelsim Intel Edition Pro 20.3 has problems.

Intel® FPGA Software Installation and Licensing Manual, p.41, table7, notes:

1. The alteramtivsim license subscription supports both VHDL and Verilog HDL and mixed language simulation for
    ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition starting with Intel Quartus Prime software version 15.0 and later. This includes designs
    that are written in a combination of Verilog, System Verilog, and VHDL languages, also known as mixed HDL. For ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition version 6.3g_p1 and earlier, the alteramtivsim license subscription supports VHDL only.
    2. The ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition alteramtivlog license subscription supports Verilog HDL only and is available for ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition version 6.3g_p1 and earlier.

However, it is not clear why the following message appear in Modelsim transcript:

** License Issue: License request for alteramtivlog feature failed

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Thanks for update. Customer service team has re-generate you a new license. Could you help to try it and report back if error happen with Screenshot of error and Quartus II>>tools>>license setup.

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed. Modelsim Intel FPGA edition 20.3 Pro errors:

** License Issue: No such feature exists. (C:\FLEXLM\license.dat)
** License Issue: No such feature exists. (C:\flexlm\license.dat)
** Error: Failure to obtain a Verilog simulation license. Unable to checkout any of these license features: 'alteramtivsim' or 'alteramtivlog'.
Error loading design

Quarus License Setup:

Elit_0-1606808192702.png

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. This most probably look like bug issue in Quartus. May I know, is the Q pro 19.4 and Q pro 20.3 install in same PC? If possible, could you uninstall Q pro19.4 and tested using Quartus Pro 20.3 only or uninstall both Quartus and install back Q Pro 20.3 and retest using the new license that we provide. See how thing goes.

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi

I uninstalled all versions of Quarus on my computer and only installed 20.3 Pro.

Unfortunately nothing has changed. Modelsim Intel FPGA edition 20.3 Pro messages:

** License Issue: No such feature exists. (C:\flexlm\license.dat)
 ** Error: Failure to obtain a Verilog simulation license. Unable to checkout any of these license features: 'alteramtivsim' or 'alteramtivlog'.
 Error loading design

Quatus license setup

Elit_0-1606911299499.png

Attached license.dat file

Thanks

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Thanks for your update. I'm escalating your issue to engineering team. Give me some time

thanks

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Just dropping by to inform that our engineering team is still working on the fix. I will let you know as soon as I received an update from them. Thanks.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

An update from engineering team. To further checking, Could you let us know whether this license error happens in vlog stage, or vsim stage?

Could you help to provide the log files for both ModelSim-Intel FPGA 2020.3 and ModelSim-Intel FPGA 2019.2?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi

I upgraded Quartus Prime Pro and Modelsim Intel FPGA edition Pro to version 20.4.

Nothing has changed in the behavior of the simulator: vlog stage OK,  an error occurs at the vsim stage.

Attached both transcript files.

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. I’m checking with engineering team on this. I’ll get back with an update.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Upon checking. Could you help to follow the steps below to test the environment, and provide further information?

===

1)           Download Attached license.dat file into C:\FLEXLM folder (IF C:\FLEXLM folder doesn’t exist, then please create the folder)

2)           Create DEBUG_LOG folder under c:\FLEXLM folder

3)           Create MGLS_DEBUG_LOG_DIR Environment variable and set the value to c:\FLEXLM\DEBUG_LOG

4)           Open and run the tool

5)           When you get any license error then exit the tool.

6)           After exiting, it dumps logs under c:\FLEXLM\DEBUG_LOG folder. Please send us all logs.

===

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

Attached debug log file.

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. I’m checking with engineering team on this.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Upon checking, as per logs, it is throwing below error message i.e. license codes are generated for one host ID and license file being used in another HOSTID.

FlexNet Error

Error Number:  -8

Error Message: Invalid (inconsistent) license key.

Server:        C:\FLEXLM\license.dat

Feature:       alteramtivsim

FlexNet Error

Error Number:  -8

Error Message: Invalid (inconsistent) license key.

Server:        C:\FLEXLM\license.dat

Feature:       alteramtivsim

Could you confirm whether customers run the tool on same HOST or different HOST when they upgrade to 20.4?

If it is on different HOST when running 20.4, then could you try 20.4 version on same HOST where 2019.4 is working fine as it looks licenses are generated on 2019.4 HOST ID.

Lastly, is it possible to run the 2019.4 tool with same MGLS_DEBUG_LOG_DIR settings and provide the logs please?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos