Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1154 Discussions

Modelsim-Intel Starter Edition (20.1) unable to checkout a license error

zhenge
New Contributor I

Hello,

My understanding is the "Starter Edition" doesn't need  a license to run.

On a windows 10 system, I am able to run ModelSim 20.1 starter edition by windows shortcut, and "vsim.exe" command in command line "cmd".

But I can't run "vsim" from the "git bash" interface.

I am curious why.

Please comment.

git_bash:/c/intelfpga/20.1/modelsim_ae/win32aloem$ ./vsim
Unable to checkout a license.  Vsim is closing.
** Error: Invalid license environment. Application closing.
Unable to checkout a license. Make sure your license file environment variables are  set correctly and then run 'lmutil lmdiag' to diagnose the problem.
Modelsim - Intel FPGA Edition uses the following environment variables to check the licenses (listed in the order of preference)
1. MGLS_LICENSE_FILE
2. LM_LICENSE_FILE.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Yes, Modelsim-Intel Starter Edition does not require license.

The line:

git_bash:/c/intelfpga/20.1/modelsim_ae/win32aloem$ ./vsim 

seem to tell me that you might invoke Modelsim-Intel FPGA edition (non-starter).

modelsim_ase usually the path name for starter edition.

Best Regard,

Richard Tan

p/s: If you find any answers from the community or Intel Support to be helpful, we encourage you to mark them as the best answer or rate them 4/5 in the survey.

0 Kudos
zhenge
New Contributor I

Hi Richard,

It seems you are right, we do have license for the standard edition.

I just don't have a clear clue how come "git bash" can't start "vsim" command, although the $LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable is set.

I can only imaging, there might be something special about Windows environment, or rules about "git bash".

Thanks,

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Maybe you can try below below command to check the environment variable?

echo $LM_LICENSE_FILE

Btw, do you able to invoke Modelsim-Intel FPGA Starter Edition? 

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Kindly note that there will be some slowness on the first reply due to the public holiday, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Kindly note that there will be some slowness in the subsequence reply due to the public holiday, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Dropping a note to ask if my last reply was helpful to you?

Do you need any further assistance from my side? 

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

We noticed that we haven't received a response from you regarding the latest previous question/reply/answer, and will now transitioning your inquiry to our community support. we are now transitioning your inquiry to our community support. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we appreciate your understanding. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know. Thank you for reaching out to us!

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

p/s: If you find any answers from the community or Intel Support to be helpful, we encourage you to mark them as the best answer or rate them 4/5 in the survey. 

0 Kudos
zhenge
New Contributor I

Hi all,

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I've figured out. It is my own fault.

The LICENSE_FILE in the bash was not configured correctly.

0 Kudos