Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
703 Discussions

Prime Pro 18.1 asking for license even though product is licensed

BGree16
Beginner

My adviser requested a Quartus Prime Pro fixed license through the university program. I have this set up on my computer, and the licensing menu shows the product as "Licensed" with an expiration some time in the future. However, anytime I open a project, I get the message "A license file is required to enable compilation for the family of devices". Am I doing something wrong? I can provide any more information if needed.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

what device family(FPGA device) are you using in your project? use device from supported family & please check again...

My adviser requested a Quartus Prime Pro 18.1 fixed license through the university program --- Quartus pro 18.1 from university program, are you sure?

If it is from University program then refer "University Program Software Licenses" from link below,

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/esc1425946071433.html#mwh14108909...

Regards,

Vicky

BGree16
Beginner

Vicky,

I apologize for the late reply. We are using Arria 10 devices. The license I have says "The following is a license file for Quartus Pro Subscription Edition University Fixed Number of seat licenses is 1". It is from the University Program. Thanks!

Brad

Vicky1
Employee

Hi Brad,

It`s okay & nice to see you again.

If I am not mistaken, setting up of a fixed licensing is not done it properly, you might be using 'Enter free mode with limited device family support' option in license setup instead of 'If you have a valid license file, specify the location of your license file'.

refer the link below especially Figure 2. & try to set it properly, if you still see the issue go through the entire Intel FPGA Software Installation and Licensing document.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/esc1425946071433.html#mwh14108909...

Regards,

Vicky

BGree16
Beginner

Vicky,

I think I may have found out the problem, it appears we accidentally gave the wrong NIC ID when requesting the license. I didn't notice this before, but I realized something didn't look right when I was reading the license file again. The IDs didn't match. Thanks for the assistance!

Brad