Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1182 Discussions

Questa Starter Edition 23.1 Licensing Issue

ajung20
Beginner

I am using Questa 23.1 Starter Edition to simulate for Quarta Prime Lite 23.1 for a class. I was able to install it but when I ran the simulation. I keep getting the licensing error that I was getting in class which reads "Unable to checkout a license. Make sure your license file environment variable (LM_LICENSE_FILE) is set correctly and then run 'lmutil lmdiag' to diagnose the problem". However, I did the steps to get a free license for Questa and installed it correctly to my computer's environment variables with the correct path as listed in https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/23-4/and-software-license.html .

The one issue that I was confused about was the difference between fixed and float license and what type of computer I have. I was able to find my NicID thats the type I set and I chose a fixed license. 

When I run lmutil lmdiag on the win64 file of Questa, it recognizes the license there. The other forum posts' solutions were to make sure the license file is set correctly which I am pretty sure I did. Are there any other steps that I could do to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks! I've also attatched some screenshots.Capture2.PNG

38cb8928-9dc6-4756-af01-f8cbf1cc0c5b.pngCapture.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi.

There is an issue with license generator recently. The license generation issue has been resolved. A fix has been deployed. Could help to request/regenerate again a new license file in self-service licensing center and try it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi.

There is an issue with license generator recently. The license generation issue has been resolved. A fix has been deployed. Could help to request/regenerate again a new license file in self-service licensing center and try it.

0 Kudos
ajung20
Beginner
I was able to get a new license and it worked, thank you!
0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for your update, hope all is well. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos