Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1155 Discussions

Set_output_delay commands does not apply to the output signal

JOter
Beginner

We have a design where we control an external RAM memory. We generate the CLK and control memory signals in a FPGA (Cyclone IV). The CLK signal is generated using a PLL, with 180º phase shift.

The design is working but we have detected that "set_output_delay" dosen't apply. For example, we have compared, in an oscilloscope, the delay beetwen the signals CLK and a bit ADD[15] bus and it is constant for any "set_out_delay".

We are using the next constrains configuration:

create_clock -name RAM_CLK -period 16 [get_ports {RAM_CLK}]

create_generated_clock -name vt_RAM_CLK -source [get_ports {RAM_CLK}] -divide_by 1 -multiply_by 1 -phase 180

set_output_delay -clock {vt_RAM_CLK} 3 [get_ports {RAM_ADD[15] }].

In next figure, you can see timing of both signals.

timing.jpg

The delay is contant for any "output_delay" value (0, 1, 2, 3..).

0 Kudos
23 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

The delay is the same becuase the register is located in the I/O. The dalay from the register to the port is the same. Do you see timing violation when you set the output delay value to 12 and higher? If you move this register out of the I/O, you will see some differences in your oscilloscope.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JOter
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks. I was confused with some terms.

Regards

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

You are welcome.

Thanks.