Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
879 Discussions

System Studio giving "Failed to find Intel OpenCL platform on local host"

okramer
New Contributor I

I have an Arria 10 Dev Kit installed on PCIe. What do I have to set up in System Studio for it to find my device? Here's what I can do:

1. I can run "aocl diagnose" successfully.
  2. I can compile kernels using "aoc" with both emulator and board options.
  3. "aocl list-devices" returns the correct info.
  4. I have a few env vars defined, including AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT and INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Can I have the full error message?

Thanks

okramer
New Contributor I

On opening System Studio, I get:

Screenshot from 2019-12-06 09-39-57.png

Then after closing that message, I get the next one:

Screenshot from 2019-12-06 10-00-37.png

Then finally:

Screenshot from 2019-12-06 10-02-58.png

Here's some info from the shell:

beast:~/dev/IntelOpenCLClass/OCL_19_1$ aocl list-devices -------------------------------------------------------------------- Device Name: acl0   BSP Install Location: /home/okramer/intelFPGA_pro/19.3/hld/board/a10_ref   Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation   Phys Dev Name Status Information   acla10_ref0 Passed Arria 10 Reference Platform (acla10_ref0) PCIe dev_id = 2494, bus:slot.func = a1:00.00, Gen3 x8 FPGA temperature = 50.5781 degrees C.   DIAGNOSTIC_PASSED -------------------------------------------------------------------- beast:~/dev/IntelOpenCLClass/OCL_19_1$ aoc -rtl SimpleKernel.cl aoc: Running OpenCL parser.... aoc: OpenCL parser completed aoc: Linking Object files.... aoc: Optimizing and doing static analysis of code... aoc: First stage compilation completed successfully. aoc: Archiving the work directory beast:~/dev/IntelOpenCLClass/OCL_19_1$ beast:~/dev/IntelOpenCLClass/OCL_19_1$ echo $INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT /home/okramer/intelFPGA_pro/19.3/hld beast:~/dev/IntelOpenCLClass/OCL_19_1$ echo $AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT /home/okramer/intelFPGA_pro/19.3/hld/board/a10_ref beast:~/dev/IntelOpenCLClass/OCL_19_1$ echo $QSYS_ROOTDIR /home/okramer/intelFPGA_pro/19.3/qsys/bin beast:~/dev/IntelOpenCLClass/OCL_19_1$ echo $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR /home/okramer/intelFPGA_pro/19.3/quartus

MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi ,

It seems like you have error while running the Intel Visual Studio as same in here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/opencl/topic/812194

Could you try to check the consideration and action as in link above?

Thanks

okramer
New Contributor I

Those actions didn't work for the OP! Besides, I'm running the linux/eclipse version of System Studio. I've gone through 2 reinstalls (i.e. 3 installs) of ISS but the problem persists. At this point I have fallen back to using CLion, my usual IDE, with cross-compiling to invoke the aoc compiler. I'm not even sure what value System Studio adds to the dev process, so I'll just skip using it for now as I don't have the time to pursue this anymore. Thanks for your help.

MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am glad to see you have success on your work.

Thanks