Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1154 Discussions

What are the Partial Reconfiguration License requirements for IntelFPGA Quartus Prime Standard its procurement procedure?

bearl3
Beginner

Trying to install the latest Terasic DE5-net board support package for the Stratix V GX FPGA  (5SGXEA7N2F45C2) based card using INTELFPGA Quartus 18.0 Quartus Prime Standard addition as directed in the DE5-New OpenCL User Manual (2018-10-11). Everything works well until I try to compile an example opencl kernel using the aoc command. (Which I am able to compile and execute with no problem under the old Quartus/OpenCL 16.1 environment.)  The Error message it give is

“Error (138079): Current license file does not support partial reconfiguration. The Quartus Prime software automatically disabled partial reconfiguration support on all partitions.”

Question 1: Am I correct in assuming that this is one of the devices that needs a separate PR license for the Quartus Prime Standard addition?

Question 2: If so where/how do I go about procuring this PR license? I am using this product for instructional purposes at a university and realize that it is not part of the boards suite that is supported by the university program but at the same time I cannot find it listed as a separate item on any on the INTELFPGA web material that I have found so far.

Any help or feedback you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

Actually I ran into the exact same problem a few days ago and was wondering why this is happening. I am also using a university license and our old license indeed had a specific field for "Partial Reconfiguration" which we never specifically asked for; however, even though the license was a "permanent" license, Quartus refused to accept it since the "maintenance period" had expired. Since the maintenance period of our OpenCL license had also expired, we submitted a renewal request for the OpenCL license and we indeed got a new "Partial Reconfiguration" license alongside with it; I think the latter license is generated automatically when the OpenCL license is generated/renewed. If you are part of the university program, submit a renewal request for your OpenCL/Quartus license and you will likely get a new license for Partial Reconfiguration at the same time.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee
Hi, Question 1: Am I correct in assuming that this is one of the devices that needs a separate PR license for the Quartus Prime Standard addition? Yes Question 2: If so where/how do I go about procuring this PR license? I am using this product for instructional purposes at a university and realize that it is not part of the boards suite that is supported by the university program but at the same time I cannot find it listed as a separate item on any on the INTELFPGA web material that I have found so far. You will need to contact Terasic or check on https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/training/university/overview.html .
0 Kudos
bearl3
Beginner
Thank you! On Thu, Jan 24, 2019, 9:59 PM Intel Forums <supportreplies@intel.com wrote:
0 Kudos