Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1182 Discussions

max+plusII licensing error - USB Sentinel not recognized

CS72
Beginner

hi, 

I have an old design targeting the EPF10K100 which needs to be re-compiled by the original toolchain. I found in the archive the installation files for max+plusII 10.0, the license.dat and a matching USB Sentinel Safeguard (acc. the ID in the license file). Unfortunately I cannot get the max+plusII recognize the Software Guard. On start of max+plusII I get the error "Network licensing error: the software guard cannot be read.  Make sure that the software guard and the Sentinel drive have been installed correctly."

the USB dongle is shown as "operational" in the device manager and the SafeNet Sentinel Advanced Medic" tool also recognizes the Stick ("1 SuperPro Key found").. 

The installation is set up in a VM (Win XP), while I get the same error after trying to install on an old PC running Win2000...

Recalling the old times I think we had used a parallel port dongle...

Any ideas what I did wrong?

KR

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Continue support in private message mail. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Welcome to INTEL forum. Could you try, disable any firewall or antivirus software temporarily to rule out the possibility of interference with the Sentinel Software Guard. Also test different USB ports on your VM or old PC. Sometimes, changing the USB port can resolve recognition issues.

0 Kudos
CS72
Beginner

Hi, 

I think the Software Guard is recognized on OS level, as it is recognized by the Sentinel Advanced Medic Tool.. 

I also tried different USB Ports w/o any effect. Thus I assume the link is broken between max+plusII and the sofware guard. 

Nevertheless, during installation of max+plusII, there was a message, that the sentinel driver being installed sucessfully. 

Additionally, there is no AntiVir SW installed on the Win2000 machine at all... 

KR, Carlhermann 

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. could you try Uninstall the Sentinel driver and then reinstall it. Sometimes, the driver installation process might not have completed successfully. Ensure that you are using the correct version of the driver for your operating system.

Also, Run Max+plus II with administrator privileges. Right-click on the Max+plus II executable and choose "Run as Administrator."

0 Kudos
CS72
Beginner

Hi, 

sorry for the late reply, I've been out of office for few days. 

I completely uninstalled the driver and also started a new installation of max+plusII (same directory, thus, current installation was removed by installer first). 

During installation, this window popped up: 

CS72_2-1703060699688.png

unfortunately, when starting max+plusII....

CS72_3-1703060773343.png

System Information (Options => License Setup => System information) shows no SW Guard..

CS72_4-1703061013150.png

And the USB Dongle is also not installed according "Device Manager": 

CS72_5-1703061109430.png

Thus, I assume the Sentinel Driver installed by max+plusII installation setup may be for the parallel port dongle only... 

For the USB dongle I found via Google-Search "Sentinel Protection Installer 7.6.9" from Google Storage File Downloader - Google Storage Portal (thalesgroup.com)

This package installed successfully

CS72_6-1703062098116.png

and the USB Stick is now recognized in the device manager

CS72_7-1703062337527.png

While starting max+plusII still throws the same error message as shown above and still not recognizes the Sofware Guard. 

I assume the driver being installed, but I'm not aware of any configuration options... 

For sure, the sentinel driver is much newer than max+plusII, maybe there was a change in the "interface between the dongle and the protected SW"?

Do you have access to any SafeGuard USB dongle drivers delivered with max+plusII ?

KR, Carlhermann 

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for your update. give me some time to further check and I’ll be back with an update.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We PM you a private message. Hope you received it.

0 Kudos
CS72
Beginner

Hi, 

unfortunately the message seems to be stuck somewhere, I have not found it neither in the account specified E-Mail adress' inbox, nor in the account's inbox...

Maybe you can try to resend the message once again?

Thanks a lot and happy new year, KR

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Done PM another message to @CS72

0 Kudos
CS72
Beginner

Hi, 

not sure where the PM are lost - again nothing from intel in my inbox  

Last E-Mail was the confirmation, that my account has been created successfully, thus the E-Mail has been working.

Not sure this is related, but I checked the option to get notified on updates of this thread, while I also never received any...

I'd like to assume the problem is on my side, but not sure what's going wrong.

KR, Carlhermann 

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Continue support in private message mail. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos