Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.

modelsim starter edition

Ed3732
Novice

Can you advise me which modelsim I can download to my windows PC free and not require any license? If I must have a license, how do I get it?

Thank you.

Edmond

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Here are key points to take note of:

1. Starting from Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition 21.3 or later and Intel® Quartus® Prime Standard/Lite Edition 21.1 or later, ModelSim*-Intel® FPGA Edition and ModelSim*-Intel® FPGA Starter Edition are no longer supported. ( Therefore, you can only download the ModelSim Starter edition with any prior version of Quartus.)
  2. License file is not required for the Intel® Quartus® Prime Lite Edition Software, ModelSim*-Intel® FPGA Starter Edition Software, and Intel® FPGA IP functions. (advise you to install ModelSim*-Intel® FPGA Starter Edition Software that does not require license file, whereas ModelSim*-Intel® FPGA Edition Software requires license file - notice that there is no "starter" word in the software name )

You can find more information related to licensing here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/licensing/support-center.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/licensing/q-and-a.html

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

p/s: If you find any answers from the community or Intel Support to be helpful, we encourage you to mark them as the best answer or rate them 4/5 in the survey. 

Ed3732
Novice

Richard

your answer is very informative and helpful. However, the readme note does not say that I don't need a license with the  ModelSim*-Intel® FPGA Starter Edition Software, that I downloaded. So, I became confused. In fact, it tells me to request a license and how to setup the license variables.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I believe the readme.txt is based on ModelSim Intel - FPGA Edition, not ModelSim Intel - FPGA Starter Edition.

However, it doesn't change the fact that the ModelSim Intel - FPGA Starter Edition does not require a license file.

If you can't find the related info in the readme.txt, you can always checkout the document "Intel® FPGA Software Installation and Licensing" for further information. Please select the document version based on the Quartus version that you are using.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/23-1/faq.html

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

RichardTanSY_Intel

Dropping a note to ask if my last reply was helpful to you?

Do you need any further assistance from my side? 

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

Ed3732
Novice

Yes, your answers were very helpful. I don't need any further assistance for now as the modelsim simulator starer edition is working just fine. If I need any help in the future I will come back here. Thank you for your help. 

You mentioned a survey, I don't see any survey I can to encourage this website. 

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad to hear that the answers provided were helpful to you.

The survey link is randomly distributed by the system and there is a chance that you might not get the link. My guess is that receiving frequent survey invitations can be overwhelming and potentially annoying to some users.  : |

I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thank you and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos