Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1098 Discussions

Building serial communication...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using a FLEX10K UP2 board and want to do some image processing on it. I would like to build an 8-bit internal RAM for my FPGA in order for my design file to write data to the RAM and read data from my CPU. I have been advised to use the serial communication to achieve data interaction between my CPU and FPGA. Since I am a beginner here, my questions would be: 

• Any suggestion on creating internal RAM? By using and altsyncram and associate it to my design file? 

• If so, then how to establish a serial commucation between my CPU and then internal RAM? Is SOPC Builder useful here? In the mean time, I have done some reading on UART, RS232, parallel-in-serial-out register and serial-in-parallel-out register. 

I really appreciate for any references related to above issues. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Due to the limited LE capacity of Flex10k, SOPC wouldn't be a good idea. 

Regarding simple UART reference designs. Did you notice the projects from opencores, e.g.: 

http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/uart/overview
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

If you don’t stick to serial communication, you can use In-System Sources and 

Probes to read and write a FPGA internal RAM.  

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii53021.pdf 

This tool provides a kind of parallel I/O ports resident in your FPGA. You can control the I/O ports through a JTAG cable and a TCL script.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Basically a good suggestion, but not helpful wit Flex10k.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don’t aware that the IP does not support Flex10k. Thanks for the correction.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also nearly forgot, that there have been FPGA without SignalTap, Memory Content Editor and all these functions depending on virtual JTAG. I knew with Flex10k from a preceeding topic.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks for all the advice. I now studying the design reference as provided in Opencores.org. 

But how do SignalTap, Memory Content Editor and all these functions affect my UART design? 

Thanks!!!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The said tools don't affect your design, cause they aren't available with Flex10K. Would be interesting tools otherwise.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If it helps I can send you my own UART IPcore. I wrote it for one of my projects. It requires 50 MHz clock signal and has user-set baudrate from 150 to 38400 bps. Write me an e-mail if you will need it (zaquadnik@gmail.com).