Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1087 Discussions

DE2 Basic_Computer Example and Quartus II 8.1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have installed UP IP's from Altera and set the path to them in SOPC Builder. I have found that the component names for DE2_Basic_Computer example were incorrect for the Quartus II 8.1 setup. I have corrected them (from altera_up_avalon_parallel_port_classic to altera_up_avalon_parallel_port and so on). However, there are now inconsistencies on port names in the VHDL nios_system component. So, it seems clear that this example was prepared for an older Quartus II/SOPC Builder version. 

Has somebody modified it to run on Quartus II 8.0 or newer versions? If so, may be he/she could share the code in this forum. That would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've got the same problem, except I am using a DE2-70 board. 

To fix the problem with the wrong modules, I removed all the non-existent ones, and re-added the newer (9.0) ones, ensuring that the base addresses, IRQ and settings matched the original one. 

I was then able to generate the new system. 

However if you have a DE2-70 board, you run into a ton of trouble since the Verilog for the Basic Computer assumes you have a DE2 board, and so you have to spend a bit of time trying to re-organise all the missing inputs/outputs for the SSRAM chip of the DE2-70. 

I managed to get it to build, but my biggest query is that there is no CLK for the SSRAM/SRAM!? Am I confused here, but I see no way for the SRAM to be clocked. Did you notice this?? 

Ross..