Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1082 Discussions

[DE2-Help] Putting WAVE files in SRAM or FLASH, then playing them through speakers?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey Everyone, 

My second hot topic is how to playback say a WAVE file through the DE2 board. I know that this is demonstrated in some of the examples that came with the board but they are much more complicated then what I would like to do. I just need to play back 2/3 sound files at certain states, and I do not want to use NIOS (so no SD card driver etc.) The goal is a pure hardware implementation. If anyone could explain/show some simple sample code that would be awesome. 

Thanks. 

Pachu
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Pachu. 

Seems that you have the same "questions"-"ideas" as me. 

You wont use the NIOS II to do the task, but I think wouldn't be a simple way to do it in pure hardware code. Instead maybe using NIOS would be more simple. 

In fact you need to save to SD card, "the sounds", and write a driver for the audio codec, and SD card. 

Also I would like too, to hear some "guru" opinion about this here.