Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1098 Discussions

DE2 Laboratory 8 bit wide mux (VHDL)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

After 10 years of leaving high school, and 5 years after purchasing a DE2 board, I found time again to start playing with FPGA’s. 

So I started where everybody does (I think), with the lab exercises. And I’m already struggling with the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] part of the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] lab. 

The exercise is to make an 8 bit wide, 2-to-1 mux. 

My code is: 

LIBRARY ieee; 

USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

ENTITY entitypart2 IS 

PORT( x : IN std_logic_vector (7 DOWNTO 0); 

y : IN std_logic_vector (7 DOWNTO 0); 

s : IN std_logic; 

M : OUT std_logic_vector (7 DOWNTO 0); 

ledupper : OUT std_logic_vector (7 DOWNTO 0); 

ledlower : OUT std_logic_vector (7 DOWNTO 0)); 

END entitypart2; 

ARCHITECTURE mux OF entitypart2 IS 

BEGIN 

ledupper <= y; 

ledlower <= x; 

M <= x WHEN (s = '0') ELSE y; 

END mux; 

X and y are routed to switches 0 to 7 and 8 to 15, M is routed to the green LED’s. The “ledupper” and “ledlower” are just added to see if something happens when I switch. 

The problem is: nothing happens!! If you don´t count that only LEDG7 goes on when I switch SW4 and all the red LED’s are on. 

What is wrong? In the RTL viewer, I see a (one) nice 2-to1 mux with x and y as input bus and M as output bus. 

Do I have to see 8 different mux’es?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do u assign pins with the pin planner? In the RTL viewer u'll see on mux, but the inputs and outputs will be 8 bit vectors. Do u see that? Or the inputs are 1 bit long?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I loaded the pin file from the file from the website and assigned the pins in the schematic topfile. 

And I see 8bit vectors in the RTL viewer. Exercise 3 is working without problems.