Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

EPC1 with UP2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can i load a configuration program onto EPC1PI8 (EPC1) by using the UP2 board (ie.byteblaster 2), or do I need someother hardware to program EPC1PI8 (EPC1).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had to dig rather deep to find a documentation... 

Actually, UP2 doesn't provide on board programming of an EPC1 device. As far as I understood, EPC1 configuration device is an option, that wasn't included with the Dev Kit. 

However you can assemble an adaptor consisting of a DIL8 socket, a JTAG/AS 10p. header and a 5V power supply. A ByteBlaster-II or USB-Blaster is required for AS programming, ByteBlaster or ByteBlaster-MV don't work. Alternatively, other dedcated programmers should be able to program this type of SPI serial flash.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"However you can assemble an adaptor consisting of a DIL8 socket, a JTAG/AS 10p. header and a 5V power supply. A ByteBlaster-II or USB-Blaster is required" 

how do I assemble this adapter? how does the JTAG connect to the DIL8 socket?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's not JTAG, it's AS (active serial) programming, dedicated to this device type. The suggestion is to use a similar circuit as for on-board programming of EPC1. The Altera Configuration Handbook has all details.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I looks like it is passive serial to me (See page 1-2 of Configuration Handbook). 

Am I wrong?