Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1185 Discussions

Help Needed: Error "nios2-elf-as.exe: not found" while Assembling Nios II Program

csnsssn
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I'm encountering an issue while trying to assemble a Nios II program using the Nios II Command Shell. The specific error message I receive is:

```

nios2-elf-as.exe --gstabs -I "C:/intelFPGA_lite/21.1/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/sdk/inc/" simple_program.s -o simple_program.s.o
/bin/sh: 1: nios2-elf-as.exe: not found
make: *** [amp.mk:79: simple_program.s.o] Error 127

```

I'm not sure if there's a specific step I'm missing or if there's an issue with my environment setup.

Could someone please guide me on how to resolve this issue? Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
aikeu
Employee

Hi csnsssn,

Did you run the Nios II command shell first in your terminal?

You can find the Nios II Command Shell.bat in the Nio2eds folder in your quartus installation file.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi csnsssn,

May I know if there is any follow up from the previous comment?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
csnsssn
Beginner
Hi Aik Eu,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I ran the Nios II Command Shell as you advised. I have also tried using the older version of the monitor program (version 18.1), and it successfully compiled the program. However, the issue persists with the newer version (21.1), and I'm still encountering the same error.

Any further guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!
0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi csnsssn,

I am not familiar about the command(nios2-elf-as) which you are trying to run, it is the nios2-elf-ar as below?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/nios2-elf-ar-usage-example.html

Can you try the run other command in the Nios II terminal like sof2flash and see if it is being recognized by the terminal?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi csnsssn,

May I know any further follow up from the issue?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
csnsssn
Beginner
Thank you for your help!

I followed your advice, and everything is working fine now. The issue has been resolved. I appreciate your assistance!
0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi csnsssn,

Glad to know that the issue has been resolved. I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com/s/?language=en_US’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos