Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1183 Discussions

Install minimum Quartus command line tools only

Ken_M
Beginner

Hi,

I have my students do a project in which they implement a processor specification in the Cyclone V, then (optionally) write some code to run on it.  The FPGA design includes an internal code RAM.  The design only permits software to be loaded at the time when the FPGA binary (.sof) is created.  I have an assembler and compiler defined for the architecture, but distribution of binaries to my students is awkward because of platform incompatibilities. 

With full control of the computer on which Quartus is installed, I can create a script (Makefile, etc) that compiles source code to .MIF binary, then runs the MIF-Update function and re-assembles the .SOF file for download.  What I would like to do is spin up a Ubuntu server at AWS and install on it a minimum tool set so my students can do those steps in a controlled environment.

What I am hoping is that there is a minimum Quartus installation I can load into my AWS Ubuntu image that supports only the command line tools without installing full blown Quartus.  There will never be any need for most of the processing pipeline at AWS (circuit editing, chip/pin configuration, compilation, fitting, routing, etc all happen elsewhere).  All we would ever do at the remote server is re-initialize the memory components and re-assemble the .SOF.

Does anybody know of a way to do this, or am I stuck doing a full install at AWS?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
_AK6DN_
Valued Contributor II

I have only ever seen a separate minimal install for the Programmer Tools.

And a separate install for the Help subsystem.

And of course the simulation software (ModelSim or Questa).

There is only one install for the Quartus compilation/development environment, all or nothing.

You can save some space by only installing the device .qdz files for the families you will be using.

I assume you are trying to save disk space rather than limit what the users can do.

IMHO the amount of space that the graphical tools you want to eliminate is not that significant in the overall scheme of things.

Most of the Quartus install is database files, not executables.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS
Employee

It is true, some of the tool can be installed separately as mentioned.

Let me know if there is any update on this

0 Kudos
SyafieqS
Employee

Let me know if there is any update from previous replies.

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
I believe the answer by _AK6DN_ should be marked as solution. It applies also in case the user wants to limit installation functionality rather than save disk space.
0 Kudos
SyafieqS
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to https://supporttickets.intel.com/, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution, give Kudos and rate 5/5 survey

0 Kudos