Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1088 Discussions

Problem with using RS232 on DE2-70

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have recently bought one of the DE2-70 boards for use in our embedded systems course, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting information through the UART. 

We are using the standard DE2_SD_CARD_AUDIO sample firmware on the DE2 (not DE2-70) boards at uni - and it works flawlessly, but when I try and load the corresponding DE2_70_SD_CARD_AUDIO sample firmware onto my DE2-70 board (given on the CD), the serial fails to work! 

I have noticed that the TX light stays on permanently on the DE2-70 (as soon as the firmware is loaded), but I'm not sure what this would mean. This does not happen on the DE2. 

When i try and read from the serial port, it DOES seem to open correctly, but it does NOT read from it. I have used the errno.h and errno variable to find that a "cannot allocate memory" error is occurring - even though this thing has ~64Mb of SDRAM. 

The open, read, write, etc. functions I am using are described on this page: 

h t t p : / / rabbit. eng. miami. edu/ info/ functions/ unixio. h t m l. 

(Spaces will have to be removed from the link above - I cant post links in my first 4 posts). 

Also note that it still occurs using stdio.h and the FILE handle aswell. 

If it makes any difference, I am loading the NIOSII stuff onto SDRAM_U1 (rather than the default SSRAM), because using the SSRAM seems to throw a "verify failed between address *some address*" error. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Thanks in advance, 

Greg.
0 Kudos
0 Replies