Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

Quartus II Web 13.0.x Asking for license file

BFods
Beginner

I am an EE student who uses Quartus II in school.  We were told to download a free version of Quartus so we can do homework without being at a school computer.  They pointed us at Quartus II Web 13.0 SR1.  I downloaded that a month or two ago and all has been well.  Now, I am being told when I launch Quartus that I need to renew my software or it will quit working in three days.  If I click on the Renew button, it launches my browser and start at a generic Intel page (meaning nothing related to licensing or upgrading.)  After hunting around the web site, I found nothing helpful.  I uninstalled Quartus, downloaded it again (in case it has a built-in expiration date) and re-installed.  It still says I have three days.  How do I tell this free version that it should keep running because I am still a student?  Help!!​

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Intel provides 30 days Evaluation period for Intel Quartus (Subscription edition, Std & Pro edition ) tool, Intel IPs & other licensed product etc. for the customers to make use of generated time_limited programming files after this evaluation period customers need to purchase the license where Quartus web edition & Lite edition are free.

In your case, you are intended to use free version of the quartus & for that I would suggest, please list the Intel Kits or Boards available in school for you & accordingly download & install any latest Quartus Web or Lite edition suitable for your use from link below,

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/downloads/download-center.html

please let me know if you have any different concern.

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

May I know any update?

Should I consider that case to be closed?

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
BFods
Beginner

Vicki, I have no update. The software will still expire tomorrow. No, I cannot buy it. I am college student who needs it to complete the one digital applications class that I am in, so I am not going to drop a couple thousand dollars on it. My professor tells me the school buys a group of education licenses for the school computers, and that students have always been able to download an old version (13.0 in my case) and it would run for the whole semester, and he has never heard of it expiring before. The version I download even has "Free" as part of its name.

So my update is: today is the last time I can run your software. Then I am screwed.

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

please provide the similar screenshot of your Quartus tool 'Help' menu-> 'About Quartus Prime', if possible.

Quartus_help_menu.JPG

If unable to do so, download & install new Quartus II web edition 13.0sp1 free from link below,

http://fpgasoftware.intel.com/13.0sp1/?edition=web

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
BFods
Beginner

Hi Vicki,

Thanks for the reply, but you can close this one.

Just FYI, so you can better help customers in the future, re-downloading and re-installing (which requires un-installing first, and adds up to over 4 hours!) is a waste of time. I had already done it once before contacting you (from the exact place your suggested link sent me), and did it one more time while waiting for a response and it helped nothing - the "stop working date" remained. How I did fix it was by filling out a request for a new license file (Tools--> License Setup if I remember correctly) and putting that new license file into place. At first I didn't think it had worked because it keeping counting down the days even with a new license file (and yes, several software launches and computer reboots) , but on what should have been the last day, I launched the software and it didn't complain, and it has been running ever since. I don't know how long I have this time but if I make it through the semester, I will be glad.

Hope that helps you help future students when this comes up again.

Bob Fodstad

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the information & glad to know that you could able to resolve issue.

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos